Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Charity?

I read in our local paper about someone asking for donations to fund some walk, climb or similar, in a distant country.
This was so they could raise money for a charity. They needed over £2,000 to take part.
This struck me as a bit odd, do people do this because they're generously putting themselves through an "ordeal" or is it a way of getting somewhere they want to go to do what they want to do?
Call me cynical if you like but, why don't they do something worthwhile where it's needed and get sponsored for it?
What would you do or like to do for charity if you could?
(I knit dog coats for homeless peoples' dogs, but I'd like to do a parachute jump!)

Please don't judge me for wondering....... I'm not a bad person, honest!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 03:57 PM

Re: Charity?

I help a local dog rescue, bit of home checking and help with fund raising, done a couple of fosters over the years too until the last one we had never went away and now I am forbidden by OH to foster again LOL

Part of our fund raising entails days of climbing etc we expect people taking part to pay for their day and raise money too. They do it for many reasons either something they always wanted to do or just to raise money for us. TBH we don't care as long as they enjoy it and we get the money raised.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 06:58 PM

I merely give money.It doesn't take much effort but, at the end of the day, it's mainly money they need to purchase all the things necessary.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 07:07 PM

Sure is!
At the supermarket there was a young lad stepping on and off a box when I went in and a woman doing it when I went out! There were buckets all round them for money for Type 2 Diabetes. Everyone seemed to be walking past. Perhaps they could have helped people out with their packing instead. The army cadets do that sometimes or wash cars in the car park like the Fire Brigade does. seemed pointless waste of energy to me, I suppose they meant well, bless 'em.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 07:58 PM

i give to the blind and cancer thats it
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

07-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Most of my clothes come from charity shops, once you wear new clothes they're second hand anyway! You get some nice stuff that you don't see on everyone else. Indigo Moon seems to be in lot of shops around here! Been looking for my "steampunk" outfit! Bought a beautiful old camera yesterday, makes a super ornament, it's got a concertina type pull out front, goes nicely with my vintage opera glasses and those boxes I've made that I haven't sold yet. How I relish finding treasure for pennies!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Don't feel guilty Twizard, these days, a lot of folks go off on an adventure, for charity.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 07:32 AM

I totally agree with Twizard here. Can never understand why people go walking, climbing, running for charity when they could do something so much more useful to raise money. Gardening for elderly people perhaps, some DIY jobs for them, collecting shopping. I think it's a selfish way of them enjoying themselves albeit raising some cash at the end of it. Do something practical, folk - there are so many people wanting and needing help, and wearing daft clothes and running round a park doesn't do it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 11:11 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I guess these trips are a way of getting people who otherwise might do nothing for charity to do something. And if that's the case, then fair enough.
Agree with eccles, on the whole, but I suspect those people who run/climb etc for charity would be less likely to do the practical things.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

08-06-2013, 11:47 AM

I know I'm diversifying a bit but I also get cross with people who do adventurous things like sailing off single - handed or climbing mountains in the middle of winter and then have to get rescued, putting other peoples' lives at risk.
When I was in hospital with chest pains, they'd had to get the air ambulance for me, luckily the ordinary one got through (phew!) there was a man in the next bed who'd set off in the snow to walk to as many counties as he could, he'd already been in two other hospitals with chest pains, but still kept going,
the nurses fussed around him as if he was a hero!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top