Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Wax in ears (split from bladder thread)

Oh I'm too aware of the problem and use all the above helpful hints but what iwas looking for on the site was a remedy for blocked ears ( that works ) without going to the drs. should ask in another thread I guess
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Re: Wax in ears (split from bladder thread)

The old fashioned way is by using some olive oil in them. Can be slightly warmed up first but check of cause that it isn't too warm. When I had blocked ears really badly I did eventually go to the Docs. I had to go to the Hospital. They said the wax was like concrete further down the tubes so I had to put oil in for a week everyday go back and they managed to unblock the "concrete" part by somehow digging it out. I get eczema in my ears as well so get something called Otomize spray but you have to get that on prescription but having suffered for over 50 years with eczema in the ears I find this the best thing I have ever used. It also helps with the wax too.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Just go to the chemist, they have several types of drops for ear wax.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

19-06-2013, 04:31 PM

I use them drops to soften ear wax from the chemists and they work a treat.

I don't put as many drops in as they say ... and tend to use it just to keep my lugs clean, rather than wait till they're blocked. A quick clean every one or two weeks does me fine.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

19-06-2013, 04:43 PM

Bowie Eyes ... snap!

I had eczema in my ears (no where else) for over 30 years. Horrible isn't it. It started as a teenager . and in all that time my skin was really dry and I never ever had any wax.

Best time for me, free of problems was when a doctor syringed my ears to shift some debris (he didn't realise I suffered from eczema) ... and it provoked a serious infection. That wasn't the good bit.
The good bit was I got sent up the Out Patients to have my ears cleared out. They used a machine that literally sucked inside my ear like a little hoover. A brief twinge of pain .. a loud popping inside my head ... and boy .. I could hear great and my lugs were no trouble for over 5 years.

The last few years , for some reason, I've started to get wax ... and less of the eczema.
So sometimes they itch ... and sometimes they get clogged with wax if I'm not careful.

I blame puberty for starting it and now the change for messing it up again ... I really do.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 05:10 PM

I used to use earex and then I found out that chemists sell small phials of olive oil and it is much better. I just use it as and when necessary.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2013, 05:33 PM

My daughter swears by Hopi Ear Candles! She thinks it would help my tinitus too, but I'm scared she'll burn my ears!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 01:26 PM

you should go to the docs thought i had the same had ear infection and went deaf in one ear now have hearing aids
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Snap Mothballs

Didn't go into full details on my post but Yes I know exactly what you went through. The little vac cleaner was a bit painful at times but did work. I cant stand being told to stop scratching inside my ears though. Try telling that to someone with eczema I feel as though I could scratch til they bled
its that annoying, in fact, it is a torture.

Coming from Yorkshire Mothballs your Lugs story sounds
very Northern
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 02:44 PM

I tried all of the above home remedies except the candles, was warned off them and thru' a mix of peroxide and olive oil ( always got that in the cupboard anyway for cooking) managed to dislodge a heap of gunk from one ear but the other is either okay or too deep, going for script next week so I'll get doc to have a squizz and I've been putting in oil ev'ry night so if owt's in there it'll be easy but my hearing's fine now so maybe it was just the one ,thanks for help, appreciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top