Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 05:27 PM

Re: High Cholesterol

There are numerous statins, and yes your GP probably but not neccessarily will prescribe simvastatin, any side effects you may experience and muscle cramps are one of the most common, do wear off after a short time, if they don't then you should go back to your doctor and you will be prescribed a different one.

Statins on the whole do more good than harm and like all prescribed medicines they don't always suit everyone, but there are alternatives.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 06:57 PM

My doc keeps badgering me to take statins and I counter by asking if she's more concerned about my health or by hitting NHS targets? I've been using Benecol or Flora Pro-Active and my total cholesterol has come down to about 6.1. A few years ago, nobody would have batted an eyelid at that reading.

Seems to me that cholesterol is being held up as the latest bogie man in the health world.
Firstly, the average reading in the UK is around 5.6, so the NHS is suggesting that the majority of UK citizens have high cholesterol.
There appears little corelation between higher cholesterol levels, especially in older people, and mortality levels, however, a body of evidence suggests that levels much below 5 correspond to an increase in all cause mortality. Some studies have even suggested that low levels are associated with suicide levels.

Statins do however seem to be beneficial, but this seems to be poorly understood and not necessarily through lowering cholesterol. One suggestion is that it stabilises the deposits of plaque in the arteries and prevents potentially dangerous particles from breaking off and entering the bloodstream. This may be the case for people with existing heart problems or who have had a stroke, but research suggests that widespread prescription of statins has little overall benefit.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 10:44 AM

That's very interesting Grumble - I didn't know about that. Still woulnd't take them though (and when I did for a few months, nothing changed anyway).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:04 AM

As soon as I was diagnosed as diabetic I was offered statins, when I enquired what my cholesterol was they hadn't even tested me, so after they tested and found my cholesterol was fine I refused the statins - still every time I go to the GP I am offered them. I do sometimes wonder if they get some kick back for putting people on them !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As soon as I was diagnosed as diabetic I was offered statins, when I enquired what my cholesterol was they hadn't even tested me, so after they tested and found my cholesterol was fine I refused the statins - still every time I go to the GP I am offered them. I do sometimes wonder if they get some kick back for putting people on them !
I think they do and it's a practice that should be stopped. The more I find out about the role of the GP, the more concerned I become; I wasn't aware, until a few months ago, that they are not employees of the government but more like contractors. It's the same as the way they prescribe antibiotics and it always seems to be Amoxicillin and yet the way they work, as described to me is, that antibiotics will kill around 90% of bacteria and the remaining bacteria are immune but all bacteria will stem from those remaining and yet GPs will again prescribe Amoxicillin when they should prescribe a different one. That I don't understand.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:11 PM

Yes I had a recurring chest infection as all they would give me was those, wasn't until I was admitted to hospital they gave me another antibiotic and it cleared up straight away, cost the NHS a lot as surely giving the right drug must cost less than a hospital admittance.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 12:23 PM

I keep antibiotics in the house due to COPD doc used to prescribe Amoxycillin, didn't work hospital changed it to Clarithamycin, next hospital changed it to Doxycillin (scuse spelling) doc now gives me these. Am on statins due to heart probs but it's to help stop me having a stroke. However terrible leg cramps and I've come off them am going to docs next week and will tell her. This is 3rd type I've been on, all done the same and yes I've stayed on them for months to give them a fair go. If the choice is the ability to walk or take my chances then chances it will be.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Reading some of these posts......it is either a case of too many people reading too many 'scare stories' in the media or some unfortunate people do have less than perfect GP's..
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 01:38 PM

i have to take them no problens here
Pats
Lincolnshire

20-06-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
i have to take them no problens here
That's good to hear pixie.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top