Join for free
Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Re: It occurred to me, while I was cutting my toe nails.

No Idea PatsCG. You don't think I write this tosh do you?
I have a team of scriptwriters who even now as we type our offerings & oblations are racking their brains to keep my name in al fresco. al denteco, al capela & ad libbing (shh) al the while.
AS the inebriate Lord Whatsisname said on live radio at the last noteworthy review of the fleet at Spit head

"ooooooooooh, they're all lit up"
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I have a team of scriptwriters who even now as we type our offerings & oblations are racking their brains to keep my name in al fresco. al denteco, al capela & ad libbing (shh) al the while.
AS the inebriate Lord Whatsisname said on live radio at the last noteworthy review of the fleet at Spit head

I think Robert matey, that that was Wynford Vaughan-Thomas who was commentating on the event for the BBC at the time.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2013, 09:29 PM

my husband has some hes got ingrown toe nials they work perfect
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->

Robert - brilliant post .... you give such joy to Pats
Now - I was amazed to see you quote that posh fella doing a live broadcast - absolutely plastered ... because - we had a tape of 'out-takes' and his broadcast was on it, it was so funny ......
'Theyre all lit up by fairy lights ... ooooooo - lit up '
Fabulous .....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Well, I have to admit, two things that irke me are the fact that my eyesight is no longer as good as it used to be. It was just reading glasses for years but now its varifoculs for the paper, tv and computer. The second is getting out of the bath is not as easy as it once was. I am not overweight in any way but I find now that when I want to get out of the bath it's much harder to do now I am not so supple as I once was boo hoo. and then I have to sit on the edge of the bath to get my breath back and also congratulate myself that I did it without falling back in and knocking myself unconscious.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 12:46 PM

.... You're so right gal - thats why I had me bath changed for a shower
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I think Robert matey, that that was Wynford Vaughan-Thomas who was commentating on the event for the BBC at the time.
wiki

Thomas Woodrooffe (1899–1978) was a British naval officer, broadcaster and writer.

In the Royal Navy he rose to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander. After his retirement he became a commentator for BBC Radio. He was one of its main commentators during the 1930s, covering amongst many other events the opening ceremony of the 1936 Summer Olympics and Neville Chamberlain's return from Munich in 1938. He is best remembered though for two gaffes.

In 1937 he was to describe the Spithead Review from his old ship the battleship HMS Nelson. Apparently he met some of his former colleagues before the broadcast and drank to the extent that his broadcast, still known today by his repeated phrase "the fleet's lit up", was so incoherent he was taken off air after a few minutes and suspended for a week by BBC Director-General John Reith. [1]. Woodroofe's comically rambling commentary has regularly been rebroadcast. The phrase "lit up" can also be a euphemism for drunkenness, which may explain Woodrooffe's comment, "At the present moment, the whole fleet is lit up. When I say 'lit up', I mean lit up by fairy lamps.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

27-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Thats right Robert -
'lit up by fairy lamps' ..... I still have him saying that line ....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

24-06-2014, 07:59 AM

What a difference a year makes. I can't reach my toenails anymore & have discovered the joys of chiropodists.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 08:35 AM

Dont think it would be kind of me to inflict my plates of meat on a poor chiropodist, possible grounds for cruelty.

Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top