Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

22-05-2013, 06:16 AM

Do Monarchies still have a role to play in modern life?

This has of course been commented on in different threads but not probably as a sole item?

My answer is an irrevocable YES. The British Monarchy is probably the best example of a successful model – not running the country as Henry VIII did but playing an essential role – a ‘business’ partnership with the government of the day. The government runs the country but the Monarchy contributes in a meaningful way. We all [well most of us] like some pomp and ceremony in our lives for different reasons. In non –Monarchy countries this doesn’t happen – take USA – were is their pomp and ceremony – they come to see ours in UK!

Take Spain – much the worst for not embracing a Monarchy successfully and finishing up with the spoils of a civil war that now sees them with a 25% unemployment figure. Rumania – what a disaster in communism that was – with the president pretending to be a Monarchy and bleeding the country dry.

Current countries with a Monarch
Australia – very successful – Queen of England the Monarch
Denmark – a commoner - Australian will become the Queen of Denmark
Canada – very successful – Queen of England the Monarch
Monaco – doing very well thank you
Luxembourg – doing very well thank you
Brunei; Norway; Belgium; Netherlands; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; Sweden; UAE;

And so the list goes on. Modern Monarchies play an important pageantry role in the functions of their country.
I would certainly not want to go back to the despotic role of Henry VIII rule but I would argue that modern day monarchies add color and pageantry and excitement to our sometimes dull lives.

And so to the Uncle Joes of this world who would argue for ancient forms of communism and fascism [hidden it what they call democracy] I would say a resounding NO – the history of Russia and Romania stand testimony to the disaster of this choice to name but a few.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Re: Do Monarchies still have a role to play in modern life?

I'm deviating from your thread MB but shouldn't 11X be V111 ?
mindbender
mindbender is male 

22-05-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'm deviating from your thread MB but shouldn't 11X be V111 ?
which ever way you want to read it - we are upside down in OZ! any other comments apart from the pendantic?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
which ever way you want to read it - we are upside down in OZ! any other comments apart from the pendantic?
Shouldn't that be pedantic MB ? I agree with your post - OK.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

22-05-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Shouldn't that be pedantic MB ? I agree with your post - OK.
glad to see ya a royalist and not commie b.....d

ps: you are PEDANTIC - maybe that comes from picking all those insects off of ya plants?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

22-05-2013, 07:22 AM

Lol .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

22-05-2013, 07:24 AM

glad to see ya a royalist and not commie b.....d

ps: You are pedantic - maybe that comes from picking all those insects off of ya plants?
lol & lol
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 09:57 AM

This has of course been commented on in different threads but not probably as a sole item?

My answer is an irrevocable YES. The British Monarchy is probably the best example of a successful model – not running the country as Henry VIII did but playing an essential role – a ‘business’ partnership with the government of the day. The government runs the country but the Monarchy contributes in a meaningful way. We all [well most of us] like some pomp and ceremony in our lives for different reasons. In non –Monarchy countries this doesn’t happen – take USA – were is their pomp and ceremony – they come to see ours in UK!

Take Spain – much the worst for not embracing a Monarchy successfully and finishing up with the spoils of a civil war that now sees them with a 25% unemployment figure. Rumania – what a disaster in communism that was – with the president pretending to be a Monarchy and bleeding the country dry.

Current countries with a Monarch
Australia – very successful – Queen of England the Monarch
Denmark – a commoner - Australian will become the Queen of Denmark
Canada – very successful – Queen of England the Monarch
Monaco – doing very well thank you
Luxembourg – doing very well thank you
Brunei; Norway; Belgium; Netherlands; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; Sweden; UAE;

And so the list goes on. Modern Monarchies play an important pageantry role in the functions of their country.
I would certainly not want to go back to the despotic role of Henry VIII rule but I would argue that modern day monarchies add color and pageantry and excitement to our sometimes dull lives.

And so to the Uncle Joes of this world who would argue for ancient forms of communism and fascism [hidden it what they call democracy] I would say a resounding NO – the history of Russia and Romania stand testimony to the disaster of this choice to name but a few.
Couldn't agree more, they are the envy of the world too.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 10:12 AM

Respect, Commitment, Service,, Continuity, Forbearance, Discretion. Aspiration, Diligence.

Just a few words which came to my mind when I read this post

THe Queen embodies all of these qualities & many more .

Charles is next & I would say he is not in the same league possessing impatience, recklessness, infidelity, self seeking & interfering.

IF he lives to accede the throne , I fear for the monarchy's positive influence from the "Defender of all faiths"
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Respect, Commitment, Service,, Continuity, Forbearance, Discretion. Aspiration, Diligence.

Just a few words which came to my mind when I read this post

THe Queen embodies all of these qualities & many more .

Charles is next & I would say he is not in the same league possessing impatience, recklessness, infidelity, self seeking & interfering.

IF he lives to accede the throne , I fear for the monarchy's positive influence from the "Defender of all faiths"

Anyone had a thought about his regnum number??? - he (might be) Charles III - i.e Charles the turd!!! and Camilla (horsey).

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top