Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 04:59 PM

Concern for neighbour

I look out for an older gal (neighbour) I'm concerned, as for the past year, she has had several bruises apprear for no reason .... she has also had horrible marks on her legs at intervals - over the past year, the marks look like birth marks, covering both legs below the knee.
She keeps going to the doctors about this, he - she, says its her age but, 'still' puts her on antibiotics each time !
The rate this is going she will have no immune system to protect her ! I'm so cross about this .....
anewday
New Member!
OH, USA
anewday is female 

10-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Re: Concern for neighbour

Hi.

I share your concern and befuddlement. Maybe figuring out the answers to these questions will help.

Does your neighbor have relatives that should know about your concerns?
Is your neighbor willing to get a second opinion?

If both answers are "no" then finding an answer is more difficult.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Don't upset yourself Pats, some people bruise very easily, I know I do, some mornings I wake up with bruises where to wife has hit off me during the night, the least tip off something may cause a mark on the skin when you are getting on in life. I think the antibiotics are more of a worry though. My missus was always getting them from the doctor up to a few years ago, I was blue in the face telling her to lay off them and give things a chance to heal naturally, colds, flu, sore throat, you name it she was off to the doc, in the end she took my advice and is the better for it. Does the Lady live on her own?, maybe you could talk to a relative about it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Hello AD - there are relatives, live 3 hours drive. I have phoned them before on other issues, seem a bit distant tho'....
The lady in question is 83 and communication is a problem, just doesn't make sense putting her on antibiotics so often, thought doctors were 'against' that idea and, if its to do with her age, probably is, why prescribe them ....just getting it off my chest really ....Thanks
EDIT - thanks to you Jem also....
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I look out for an older gal (neighbour) I'm concerned, as for the past year, she has had several bruises apprear for no reason .... she has also had horrible marks on her legs at intervals - over the past year, the marks look like birth marks, covering both legs below the knee.
She keeps going to the doctors about this, he - she, says its her age but, 'still' puts her on antibiotics each time !
The rate this is going she will have no immune system to protect her ! I'm so cross about this .....
Pats,
Firstly elderly people do bruise easily and for no apparent reason, many have paper thin skin that can also 'tear' easily.

I can think of at least one bacterial condition affecting the legs that would require antibiotics and can be difficult to clear up due to poor circulation.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Hello Pats - Antibiotics, every 8 - 9 weeks .....?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 07:57 PM

My father used to get this and funnily enough when in his lower 80s. Big bruises off the slightest tap. His skin was quite thin too so it would break quite easily. Maybe the antibiotics are in case of any infection from bruises and cuts you couldn't see?

Mind you saying that both my mother and father had so many tablets to take it made my head spin.
anewday
New Member!
OH, USA
anewday is female 

10-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Pats CG,

It couldn't hurt letting the relatives know your thoughts. My mother's friend was the one who let me know that my Mom was having potential problems. Mom was around 80 years old then. I lived about 300 miles away from her. Something bad could have happened to my mom if the lady hadn't phoned me and clued me in. Either the relatives will act on your words or not. After you tell them then you are absolved, in my opinion.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 12:30 AM

My skin is thinner than rice paper, the slightest knock however light will leave a bruise on arms, legs and stomach, though never face or neck. Arms will bleed at the slightest prick, last week I wasn't aware of pricking myself but blood was dripping off my fingers and I'd a puncture wound on my wrist. I have COPD and have to keep antibiotics and steroids in the house, does she perhaps?? Have you considered asking if she'd like you to go to the docs with her.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Hi Hazel, theres no reasoning with her unfortunately, shes not on any other medication except statins. I will phone the daughter tonight, just to put her in the picture ..... thanks all

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top