Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
sixdeck
New Member!
Bransgore UK
sixdeck is male 

24-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Hearing, The Truth

Hearing loss is common - it affects around 1 in 7 people in the UK; mostly the same group of people for whom reading glasses also become an essential part of life. Why then, do we view it as something different to the perfectly normal visual aids bought in their thousands and often with high fashion designer labels on them?

It is certainly fair to say that this could be driven by a puzzling social stigma attached to hearing aids of yesteryear and a falsely assigned label of user disability rather than simply viewed as a natural part of ageing for the majority of those with hearing loss.

I can't help but wonder, however whether the following doesn't fuel the fire of disassociation and denial:

A hearing aid costs around $40 to make and most people pay around £1,100 to buy one. Is that right, is it fair or is it simply profiteering. Many High Street retailers, ostensibly committed to lowering prices (I note with interest some of the views on Specsavers; who are now doing hearing aids), seem not to do so when it comes to hearing aids.

I have worked in the hearing aid industry for several years and have often felt that this unreasonable profiteering does nothing to help public opinion regarding hearing loss and does not endear those inclined to seek out a solution.

It is with some comfort, lest I say delight that I have recently come across a website www.hearingdirect.com - finally a company I think I can believe in and whose philosophy I fully support.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Re: Hearing, The Truth

I don't like companies who take advantage of folk either!

Hope that link comes in handy for people and I for one wouldn't be embarrassed about wearing a hearing aid if I had to.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 03:37 AM

You are right there is a different feeling in wearing a hearing aid rather than glasses when each are needed and I have no idea why that should be....never thought of it til now.

Many people that I know that get them have background noise and do not wear them because of that even after all the money they have put into them.

I hope that site helps people.
Barbara B
New Member!
Salisbury
Barbara B is female 

25-01-2010, 01:49 PM

I went on hearingdirect.com and took their hearing check. Has anyone else done this? I scored 72% and my husband who is definitely deafer scored 55%, so it looks like it works.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Sadly it's a sign of our times SD, . . disabled people are targets for the rip-off merchants, . . they know people with a disability will spend any amount to help themselves.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 02:14 PM

I suppose most of us notice when we need glasses-reading gets harder etc.

But, like many, my hearing is still perfect--it`s others who seem to mumble
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

Eh, . . . . . . .
sixdeck
New Member!
Bransgore UK
sixdeck is male 

27-01-2010, 09:25 PM

I find it very interesting reading others views on this - it does seem (and I include myself here) that we view someone with a hearing aid as deaf and yet someone with glasses we don't consider blind! I'm sure that's why I am still assuring my wife that she seems to mumble and that the actors on TV don't seem to be able to speak clearly any more rather than admit (what I know realy to be true!) that I'm a bit mutton! I don't seem to have any problem buying a pair of glasses to help me read though......
nero
Central Scotland

28-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Personally I think the worst disability anyone can have is blindness, . . being either deaf or without the use of your limbs is bad enough but loss of sight must be awful especially if someone has lost their sight due to an accident or whatever.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

eh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top