Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:24 PM

Re: Schools Day's please tell us.

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
In general I didn't hate school, just loathed some of the teachers. The first was Mrs Darlington (2nd yr primary) made us "lefties" write right-handed. Of course I couldn't being a natural southpaw and this upset me so much I left class each afternoon . My mom was not amused and demanded that Mrs Darlington stop pressurising me because I was naturally left-handed. Mrs D said she only did it because "some children like to play up and pretend" (funny how you can remember this sort of thing almost verbatim 64yrs after the event!). The next was a Mr Dick (I kid you not) our Grammar School English Language teacher - a Scot of ill-repute and nature who used the tawse with great effect and pain.
I too am Left-handed. Fortunately, the Nuns never bothered trying to teach us to write Right-handed, but I do remember that my work always ended up smudged because the palm of my hand would rest on what I had written as I continued writing with dipped ink along the same line. Also whereas everyone else's writing was either straight or slanting forward, mine would have a distinct flourish of backward left slanted writing
Goodness knows how my Mum managed to get the ink smudges off the cuff of my school blouse long sleeve! .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I too am Left-handed. Fortunately, the Nuns never bothered trying to teach us to write Right-handed, but I do remember that my work always ended up smudged because the palm of my hand would rest on what I had written as I continued writing with dipped ink along the same line. Also whereas everyone else's writing was either straight or slanting forward, mine would have a distinct flourish of backward left slanted writing
Goodness knows how my Mum managed to get the ink smudges off the cuff of my school blouse long sleeve! .
My early years at school were spent writing with nibbed pens and ink pots Shropshiregirl, writing left handed we have to push the pen forward risking piercing the paper, whereas right handed people pull the pen. My writing was crap anyway....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 04:14 PM

My dad was in the military, so we moved every couple of years, but most of my schooling was in California. My junior high school was tucked away in the golden foothills covered with live oaks and backed to a shady creek that we had to cross to get to the playground and sport areas. No teachers ventured there so we had a fabulous time climbing in the hills during our breaks.

My favorite teacher was Mr. Rear who used to make fun of his last name (before we did), saying things like he was going to name his daughter Rosy. He used to chalk up erasers and sling them across the classroom like bullets leaving marks on those who well-deservedly talked when he was teaching. He would often likewise sling basketballs at the heads of boys who were causing him headaches. It was all in good fun though, and we respected him.

My high school years mirrored Keezoy's on the opposite side of the Pacific. We would often go to school in the mornings with our bathing suits under our clothes and load up our parent's station wagons with surfboards, towels, and guitars and pass idyllic late afternoons surfing Zuma, Malibu and Pt. Dume.

I was a nerd, though. Built like a twelve-year-old, I played in the high school band (drums and flute), studied hard, and don't think I had a date until I was 17 or so. A late bloomer, I was.

I too suffered from left-handed-itis. All the best people do !
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
My dad was in the military, so we moved every couple of years, but most of my schooling was in California. My junior high school was tucked away in the golden foothills covered with live oaks and backed to a shady creek that we had to cross to get to the playground and sport areas. No teachers ventured there so we had a fabulous time climbing in the hills during our breaks.

My favorite teacher was Mr. Rear who used to make fun of his last name (before we did), saying things like he was going to name his daughter Rosy. He used to chalk up erasers and sling them across the classroom like bullets leaving marks on those who well-deservedly talked when he was teaching. He would often likewise sling basketballs at the heads of boys who were causing him headaches. It was all in good fun though, and we respected him.

My high school years mirrored Keezoy's on the opposite side of the Pacific. We would often go to school in the mornings with our bathing suits under our clothes and load up our parent's station wagons with surfboards, towels, and guitars and pass idyllic late afternoons surfing Zuma, Malibu and Pt. Dume.

I was a nerd, though. Built like a twelve-year-old, I played in the high school band (drums and flute), studied hard, and don't think I had a date until I was 17 or so. A late bloomer, I was.

I too suffered from left-handed-itis. All the best people do !
They make awfully good runners also Surfermom.....
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:59 PM

In my senior school we played sports one day a week at Windmill Hill, on one ticular day we found a hedgehog on the football pitch, we informed our games teacher Mr Owens he was very grateful for our find and his good luck
and the lousy b,stard took it home and ate it after cooking it wrapped up in a clay ball and roasting it for 2 hours, we hated the B,stard after this this.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:16 PM

School days were always easier for Birds than Geezers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
School days were always easier for Birds than Geezers.

Why?

At least you didn't have to run around outside doing PE in your knickers on freezing cold days!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:30 PM

Birds could get on with learning, without trials of strength and control capability.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-02-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why?

At least you didn't have to run around outside doing PE in your knickers on freezing cold days!
They wouldn't even let us wear knickers Mups, we had to run round the snow covered field naked, in just a pair of plimsoles and a rucksack full of bricks....We're hard here in Yorkshire...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They wouldn't even let us wear knickers Mups, we had to run round the snow covered field naked, in just a pair of plimsoles and a rucksack full of bricks....We're hard here in Yorkshire...
We wore stilettos.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top