Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 12:25 AM

Singers and singer-songwriters

Okay, new thread. One I've been toying with for a while.

The biggest thing I noticed whilst I was relaying my albums thread on here was the interest in singer-songwriters. The contributors to my thread overwhelmingly popped up when mention of a great songwriter appeared in my list....Dylan, Morrison, Springsteen etc.

I'm starting this thread to highlight any of your favourite songwriters which you may wish to speak about or post videos from. But, it's not limited to songwriters - we can share our thoughts on some of the best singers too.
For instance, my first choice had not one single album in my Top 1000 but I rate him as one of the greatest singers ever, mainly as he was known mainly as a singles artist. But what an amazing voice...Here's Andy Williams:

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 01:10 AM

Re: Singers and singer-songwriters

Don't think you can have thread about singer songwriters without Paul Simon. This is Graceland taken from the eponymous album, perhaps one of the best albums ever written?

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 04:11 AM

Roy Orbison

In dreams.

https://youtu.be/TPqZs7Vl_xg
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 11:02 AM

I am going for Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong and with a name like that you have to be impressed.

Her clarity of voice and lyrics speak for many women. One of our underated singers

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 11:09 AM

My favourite singer/songwriter is Peter Gabriel from the group Genesis who started his solo careerr in 1985.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel

I feel moved listening to his music
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
My favourite singer/songwriter is Peter Gabriel from the group Genesis who started his solo careerr in 1985.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gabriel

I feel moved listening to his music
Especially this one. His cover of a Magnetic Fields song. Heard this first in an episode of medical comedy Scrubs.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 04:36 PM

I'd have to mention Donovan here.
One of the best, poetry to music.
I just can't choose one song, there are so many.
I think anyone who can write lyrics and compose the music to go with them are amazing.
My Mum could listen to a tune and play it on the piano immediately. I wish I could know a musical instrument so well that I could know how it would sound without thinking!
To sit down and write a story is clever but to write music is true talent, I think.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Don't think you can have thread about singer songwriters without Paul Simon. This is Graceland taken from the eponymous album, perhaps one of the best albums ever written?

Paul Simon is one of my favourite songwriters. Here are a couple more great songs...

and this one never fails to send shivers down my spine,

Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Devo
SW UK

16-06-2018, 05:04 PM

For sheer songwriting brilliance, Joni Mitchell takes a lot of beating, especially those first six albums.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top