Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Re: Devo in the Hot Seat.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I see you are interested in cooking, so what is your favourite meal & do you have your own recipe for it?
Originally Posted by carol ->
What's your favourite food?
I am not sure I have a favourite meal, more favourite meals. Anything with fish - my augmented caesar salad is wonderful - take the basic mix (lettuce, croutons, Parmigiano Reggiano, dressing and add avocado, marinaded anchovies (from the deli counter not a tin), black olives. I have recently got my head around a white wine and cream sauce with added tarragon, which goes well with fish and, I suspect, chicken although I have yet to try that - I will soon. I suppose a really well made bouillabaisse would have to be my favourite meal.
I like Indian food both made at home and eaten out.
A recent recipe triumph (well, I liked it and Mrs Devo didn't complain) was my take on a cottage pie. The filling was a melange of shallots, lentils, tomatoes, chilli, herbs and a few other things I have forgotten; the top was coarsely diced celeriac, swede and parsnips which I steamed then tossed in a bit of salt, black pepper and olive oil before putting on top of the filling and baking until crisp and slightly charred. It was much better than it sounds.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi mate.

When I was on with my albums thread earlier this year I was hoping to chat with you on some of the more obscure music in that thread, but didn't see you pop in there. No sweat, perhaps my choices were too commercially-orientated
Do you have any albums in your collection you would consider really off the wall, the rarer the better?
Do the three Dr Strangely Strange albums count? The first is a work of genius, the second is a bit more commercial but does feature a then unknown teenage Gary Moore and the third is just okay.
I think I mentioned earlier my love for Smiling Men With Bad reputations which has been called the greatest collaborative album of all time (and one for the more unknown) Apart from Mike Heron, it frequently features bona fide genius John Cale, who produced, played on and arranged my all-time favourite song, The Feast of Stephen - I must have heard it thousands of times since I bought it something over 40 years ago and it still sends shivers down my spine.
Less of an obscurity I do have a recording of Richard Thompson's Henry the Human Fly, reckoned to be the smallest selling album on the Warner Brothers label at the time. I have been searching of r a vinyl copy for ages and have yet to be successful. There is one track on it that shows you everything Frank Turner has ever learned only from before he was born (I think).
Not at all obscure but you don't see them very often nowadays, I do have an original Thick as a Brick complete with full, good condition newspaper. Still think it is a great album.
It's A Beautiful Day? I have ...At Carnegie Hall which is a good live album.
Unknown to many, Tom Rapp and Pearls Before Swine are a recent discovery. A querulous singing voice but quite affecting and sincere.
Devo
SW UK

21-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
What was the most awkward conversation you've had with someone?
Maybe back in the 80s when I was living in Taunton. After my team had won a darts match, I was cycling home late at night, a bit merry let's say, no lights, the wrong way down a one-way street. Of course, I bumped into that now vanished species - the 'bobby on the beat'.
"Do you know just how many laws you are breaking, sir?"
Devo
SW UK

21-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
What's the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
I cannot recall ever been given good advice by a person - any advice from my parents would usually have meant do the opposite and I wouldn't be far wrong. I am probably not really receptive to other people telling me what to do or, at least, strongly recommending a course of action. I end to get my advice from within via meditation or from songs or books. A coupel fo quotes that set me on my life course...

I don't believe you
You had the whole damn thing all wrong
He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
Don't believe in yourself
Don't deceive with belief
Knowledge comes with death's release
May the long time sun shine upon you
All love surround you
And the pure light within you
Guide you all the way on
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I am not sure I have a favourite meal, more favourite meals. Anything with fish - my augmented caesar salad is wonderful - take the basic mix (lettuce, croutons, Parmigiano Reggiano, dressing and add avocado, marinaded anchovies (from the deli counter not a tin), black olives. I have recently got my head around a white wine and cream sauce with added tarragon, which goes well with fish and, I suspect, chicken although I have yet to try that - I will soon. I suppose a really well made bouillabaisse would have to be my favourite meal.
I like Indian food both made at home and eaten out.
A recent recipe triumph (well, I liked it and Mrs Devo didn't complain) was my take on a cottage pie. The filling was a melange of shallots, lentils, tomatoes, chilli, herbs and a few other things I have forgotten; the top was coarsely diced celeriac, swede and parsnips which I steamed then tossed in a bit of salt, black pepper and olive oil before putting on top of the filling and baking until crisp and slightly charred. It was much better than it sounds.
Your recipes sound good & I like cooking so I may try them. Especially the Caesar salad!
Devo
SW UK

21-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Your recipes sound good & I like cooking so I may try them. Especially the Caesar salad!
I forgot the strips of warm chicken and smoked bacon I usually chuck on top the caesar salad.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I forgot the strips of warm chicken and smoked bacon I usually chuck on top the caesar salad.
Thanks that sounds even better!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 02:17 PM

First you have some delightful taste in music we share a few in the acid folk dept. And second ta for pointing me in the direction of Godspeed you the Black Emperor, how i never came across them before is a mystery

I see you have an interest in History. My question is if you could go back in time what period would you visit and why. ?
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 04:51 PM

If you won the lottery jackpot what would you spend the money on?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 07:56 PM

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Got another for you Devo matey:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a while, teach him how to fish and he'll happily sit on the riverbank with his rod in the water drinking beer all day.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top