Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 04:29 PM

Genealogy Corner

For all those who are interested in Family Trees, to have a discussion or ask for advice
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Re: Genealogy Corner

Don't do it ... it is addictive! LOL!
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 04:59 PM

It keeps my hubby out of mischief
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 05:09 PM

It is certainly a fascinating hobby - is hobby the right word?

My addiction began just after my father died. A lovely old photograph came to light - mother hadn't a clue about it and was quite obviously not interested - but it haunted me. That was in 1991 - I have been hooked ever since.

It can be soul destroying - because you search for ages and find nothing but then - just when you are going to pack it in - another piece of the puzzle clicks into place and you are off again.

It can be hilarious - you discover that some of your straight-laced ancestors were not always quite how they wish to be seen.

It can be intriguing - you suddenly find second, even third, marriages - sometimes even no marriages!!

But it can be so rewarding - I'm in touch with a whole heap of cousins that I never knew were there !
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 05:44 PM

I've dabbled a bit, but I'm not particularly hooked on it. I do know the cities of origin of all four sets of my grandparents... when they immigrated and what ship they arrived on. Here in the States EVERYONE is from immigrant stock. All four sets of my Grandparents came from Germany in the late 1800's early 1900's, so because of the distance and particularly the language barrior.. I have not delved farther. I have a 2nd cousin that actually HAS gone to Germany to meet up with long lost family, but IMO other than knowing we share some DNA I personally am not that interested. Not that I would be adverse to meeting them mind you.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 05:57 PM

I discovered a whole heap of rellies on my maternal grandmother's side - her sister married an Australian soldier just after WW1 and went over to Oz. I found her offspring and have been in touch and one even came over to England and we met - it was fabulous meeting her.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 06:01 PM

Thanks for starting this Valice. Brill.

I found a distant relative living on the Isle of Wight. We are not in touch any more (we just corresponded briefly).
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 06:08 PM

I was shocked to find a murderer in my tree too - quite a close rellie as well!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Great idea Val ~ thanks from me too

My 'addiction' began with a photograph too ~ 3 generations of paternal grandfather's family standing in the doorway of a terraced cottage and I spent a very very long time trying to find the cottage, imagining that it was the 'ancestral home'
Alas, I believe it must have been demolished many decades ago.
Never even managed to find the street and suspect it vanished underneath some post office buildings.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
I was shocked to find a murderer in my tree too - quite a close rellie as well!

Sooooo envious Stella .... everyone wants a murderer

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top