Join for free
Page 130 of 370 « First < 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 140 180 230 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 12:18 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Thank you for your well-wishes, Floydy. I just got off the phone with him and he's feeling well enought even though he had miserable night in the hospital - you know - bad bed, interruptions, machines, etc.

Well now, wasn't that was a well-rounded workout, Floydy! It sounds like you are making small enough increases that they aren't affecting you negatively. IT must be satifsfying to be seeing the results of the higher reps on your biceps. That feeling of accomplishment when you walk out the door of the gym is always a good one.

I do empathize with the migraines. Do you get nausea, auras, etc.? Do you take an over-the-counter medication for them? That combination of analgesics (asprin and acetopminophin) with a fairly high dose of caffeine seems to do the trick for me when I occasionally get one. Not fun.

I'm sorry that your work situation isn't the best right now. I know you had a bump with a colleague recently, which I am sure didn't help things, and this night work is hard on your quality of life.

We have touched on this before, but are you really getting enough sleep? Even if you feel rested even a lack of sleep over time can chip away at your happiness and make you feel down. Might this be triggering some of your frustration?

You have already chipped away at one month, perhaps two, since you first mentioned the challenges with working at night...and every shift brings you a little closer. You'll get there. Make sure you are scheudling things on the horizon to look forward to - like a concert, a day trip, or a fun day out. It will all work out. Hang in there.

Mother Nature has dropped the temperature ten degrees F, with a sturdy north wind, but with the sun out there were no excuses to be unhappy about digging out the winter gear and getting on with it.

When the wind howls, I know a place behind a long-ago, once submersed east-west wrinkle in a seabed that is now thickly forested with loblolly and white pines, making it perfect place to catch the sun with most of the chilly wind blocked. Tights, tank, and jacket...and off I went.

I have been slowly gaining weight after purposefully dropping several pounds for last month's run, and those needed pounds were definitely felt today. The first half mile is always the hardest while my heart makes the adjustments to permit less of a struggle, but that effort seemed to be intensified with my extra pounds. It took a full mile before the huffing and puffing settled into a breathing rhythm that matched my foot pace. Six miles and I was back with a good cup of tea and a table of work stretched in front of me.

Tonight the plan is to do step aerobics while I watching the Swedish, "A Man Called Ove" (very good, if you haven't seen it) following it up with a round of yoga. While the gurus would have a fit at the very notion of it, I have found that doing something else while doing yoga gives me the patience to stick with it. Those three pound weights are every my defense against what I have learned, thanks to Ruthio, is affectionately called "bingo wings," which is currently my nemesis.

We will see who wins, bingo wings. We will see.......

In the meantime, bon voyage to OGF who is soon off on his cruise and will hopefully be walking his way back into piriformis strength on sunny Caribbean islands with an umbrella drink in hand for good measure.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 01:35 AM

That's a tremendous post, Surfermom. There's so much I'd like to discuss there
Would you mind if I reply to you during the day tomorrow afternoon (Thurs) when I can give you the time it deserves? I may PM you with some things too.
Thanks again
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 01:46 AM

Anytime, Floydy.

I pop in and out of the forum as work and responsibilities allow.

Cheers your way!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Well now, wasn't that was a well-rounded workout, Floydy! It sounds like you are making small enough increases that they aren't affecting you negatively. IT must be satifsfying to be seeing the results of the higher reps on your biceps. That feeling of accomplishment when you walk out the door of the gym is always a good one.

I do empathize with the migraines. Do you get nausea, auras, etc.? Do you take an over-the-counter medication for them? That combination of analgesics (asprin and acetopminophin) with a fairly high dose of caffeine seems to do the trick for me when I occasionally get one. Not fun.

I have been slowly gaining weight after purposefully dropping several pounds for last month's run, and those needed pounds were definitely felt today. The first half mile is always the hardest while my heart makes the adjustments to permit less of a struggle, but that effort seemed to be intensified with my extra pounds. It took a full mile before the huffing and puffing settled into a breathing rhythm that matched my foot pace. Six miles and I was back with a good cup of tea and a table of work stretched in front of me.

Tonight the plan is to do step aerobics while I watching the Swedish, "A Man Called Ove" (very good, if you haven't seen it) following it up with a round of yoga. While the gurus would have a fit at the very notion of it, I have found that doing something else while doing yoga gives me the patience to stick with it. Those three pound weights are every my defense against what I have learned, thanks to Ruthio, is affectionately called "bingo wings," which is currently my nemesis.

We will see who wins, bingo wings. We will see.......

In the meantime, bon voyage to OGF who is soon off on his cruise and will hopefully be walking his way back into piriformis strength on sunny Caribbean islands with an umbrella drink in hand for good measure.
Hi again, Surfermom.
I've decided to split your post into two quotes. The rest I'll probably answer via a PM when I'm at home later and after I've had a good sleep.

Yeah, I'm happy with my training routine. I'm sticking with these semi-high reps and light-ish weights for now, they are working a treat and suit my time schedule too, so all's good. Plus, it's nice to be able to still see some visible differences at the age of 53. An ego boost!

Don't worry about putting weight on. I understand you maybe wanted to be as fit as a fiddle for your race but when you rest, the weight, however small will go back on. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about though.
And bingo wings?! Tricep pulldowns or using the cable machine as an alternative will keep the back of those arms firm and tones. Trust me

Finally, Bob - Have an absolutely fantastic time on your cruise. Take things easy, rest that injury and get some gentle swimming in but don't do too much bud. I'm sure you'll come back feeling invigorated and ready for those running shoes again, albeit in small stages. All the best to you and your wife for the vacation
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 11:12 AM

Thanks Floydy and all my friends in the fitness section. I hope not to be completely forum free for the next fortnight but at the risk of Mrs Fox saying "You think more of your friends on the forum than you do of your family!" I will just maintain 'Bob's Bits' with the odd report...and before you say it, my reports are always odd..... And rather than spend most of my holiday in some dark and dingy cabin tapping away on my keyboard, I'll try to go topside and enjoy the views....

'I don't like cricket......Oh no'.......
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 01:23 PM

Two things...firstly, Foxy t I thoroughly approve of your resolution to do a digital detox while youre away on holiday.
It drives me up the wall if members of my family have their noses in their phones when were away...I never take my pad with me and dont have internet access on my phone!
Have a great time!!

Secondly, I went on the group walk today but didnt go the full 3 miles, think I did about 2 before heading back.
These Winter viruses take it out of you
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 01:29 PM

Hi

I am still confined indoors, no driving.

A walk outside is infinitely better than an exercise bike indoors.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What pretty wintry, scene, Bratti. Your dogs must love the wide spaces.

Speaking of parental care, I was unable to run today - rare for me. My dad had two stents implanted today - after nearly a year of frustration becoming winded and tired when doing the thousand and three activities that he enjoys. It went very well and hopefully, he'll be back to his normal activity in short order. Tonight he was up roaming around the hospital, so something is working .
It's incredible what cardiovascular surgeons are doing now to extend people's quality of life.

Temperatures are cooling down with a front that just passed but at 16C, I have nothing to complain about. I have a date with my running shoes tomorrow at two when temps are at their warmest.

The yoga is coming along well, though and I don't think I realized how much of my flexibility of my younger years was slipping away. Without the running and step aerobics today, there is some stretching and a yoga pose or two late ...

Never mind the thud you hear in the middle of the night. It's just me falling out of Nataranjasa pose...
Hi Surfermom,
I’m glad to know you’re dad doing ok. It can be quite the scare. My dad had a stroke in December and my father in law a few weeks ago. My father in law lost his licence but according to my father it was only suggested that he refrain from driving. Doctors don’t usually suggest these serious types of decisions.

No at 16C you can’t really complain.
We are still in the below zero Celsius temperatures. Sure we got that warm front which was delightful BUT it sure made my walking trails really slippery and considering I am already recovering from a fat lip from a skating fall, I was extra careful.
I’ve included pics of my walk.

I ran 4 kilometres on Tuesday and walked my usual 5 kilometres. I’ve only been jogging twice a week. Would I be better off breaking up my run to make it three times a week with a shorter distance? While I can jog 7.5 kilometres, my housework is lacking. Lol. In other words, it’s draining my energy whereas I’m not affected much by the 4 kilometre run. Perhaps I answered my own question.

Oddly enough with the yoga is that I can do yoga better than ever now. Somehow I’ve become much more flexible. Ridiculously so. Maybe it’s because I’m shrinking.

Anyway take care Surfermom.
Have a good one

And good day to the rest of you!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D4AE69B-E43B-4CE5-AA7D-88E6FFC1B4C3.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	5360   Click image for larger version

Name:	E497C2C9-488D-4CCB-A2CC-0A1849C4FC29.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	5361   Click image for larger version

Name:	17CF7016-40AB-4213-875A-555462B26AEA.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	5362   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C1AFF10-106A-4D5F-BD58-842BE1BB809A.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	5363  
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

09-03-2018, 02:53 AM

Nice job on the running and walking, Bratti, and what beautiful scenery. It looks like it might melt up there, after all! I am sorry about your dad and FIL. It's a tough road for everyone, I'm sure.

You are most definitely right,I am spoiled about the temperatures. It is a somewhat old joke here that I whine when it comes to cold temperatures despite the surfing, running, and outdoor activities I do. Living in Chicago forever ruined me for the cold.

Yes, it is concerning about my dad and partially because his age doesn't compute in my head, even last summer he was up on the roof of the house doing something. He's got that old fighter pilot, man's man sort of constitution so the idea of him becoming weak and vulnerable due to age is hard for me to accept - and nearly impossible for him.

Haha, yes, you answered your own questions! You should be developing a schedule that leaves you feeling energized and still allows you at least a full day of recovery. I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to heavy exercise wiping you out. It's apparently a common attribute as we grow older, which is one of the reasons some studies are coming back and recommending that we back off a bit from our high performance levels (distance, weight, amount of total time spent) in our thirties and forties.

So, since I was a big baby today and seeing that the temps are climbing a bit higher today, I once again pulled everything out of the closet to make a short-ish five mile run today. While I had planned on a mere four, I am testing a new running watch that finally came in the mail today. My old watch died several months back and buying things for me is always low on the priority list...

Anyway, this watch (a Garmin on clearance - I love a bargain) has all the bells and whistles, including the popular step and calorie counts (which I probably won't use), but what it has that I will employ like a religion is a simple screen that shows distance and pace.

I actually don't like to think about distance much because it makes it feel like a chore, but I think my pace has been sliding lately so watching it again is probably not a bad idea. As OldGreyFox will attest, seeing your results uploaded on a computer screen later offers another perspective, like pace during the run and elevation changes - but it's just plain satisfying to see your workout on a map.

I believe Floydy has a big workout tomorrow, and I wonder how everyone's swimming is coming along with the snow melt making it easier to get out and about. Good workouts, everyone!

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

09-03-2018, 03:34 AM

Ruthio, I had to laugh at your comments about family and screens. The last time I was on vacation (holiday) with my extended family, the teenagers were all spending the entire time taking selfies - and sending them to each other - staring at the screens and barely talking to each other - all the while this vast natural beauty was surrounding them. I wonder how they even form memories, LOL.

Good for you on the walk, even if you don't go far, as we have talked about - it makes for good social exercise!

Swimfeeders, are you walking, getting about? How are you feeling strength wise? Your attitude always shows your fortitude. I have every confidence that you will continue to make progress.

Page 130 of 370 « First < 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 140 180 230 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top