Join for free
Page 80 of 370 « First < 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 05:09 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Hi

I used to be fit, then the Injuries came in, a legacy of my previous life.

Condemned to compulsory Medical Retirement, never to walk or work again, I got there, did both.

I had annual medicals, proper ones, a full day.

These went fine until I was 62, the same fitness level as a 50 year old.

A very simple injury flattened me, a Hospital Acquired Infection.

It has taken 3 years to get back to anything like normal.

I will never run again, but I can walk and I can do exercise on my adapted Exercise bike.

I consider myself very fortunate.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Condemned to compulsory Medical Retirement, never to walk or work again, I got there, did both.

I will never run again, but I can walk and I can do exercise on my adapted Exercise bike.

Sorry to hear about the struggle with your health Swimmy, sometimes things just happen and they are out of our control, but once you have experienced what it's like to be fit and able bodied, nothing will stop you from trying to regain some of that fitness back.
From reading your posts Swim, I can see that you are a strong willed and determined person who refuses to lie down. Power to you, and I have every confidence that you will achieve your goals...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Surfermom, that trail just begs to be run or walked, it looks like paradise....

Still quite dark as I stepped out of the house this morning, the first thing that struck me were the spots of rain gently sprinkling on my face and legs. So being a wuss, I nipped back for my waterproof top. I needn't have bothered, because as the sky got brighter I could see it wasn't one of those 'In for the day' type skies. It was a bit child (chilly) though, so my thin waterproof would keep out the cool breeze and not contribute to overheating later.

All went well and the rising sun sent shards of orange and red across the eastern sky, and a standing ovation from a gang of croaking Rooks assembling on a nearby telegraph pole seemed to add enthusiasm and energy to my pace. A flock of Seagulls passed high overhead, it's about fifty miles from the nearest coast to here, and I wondered if they had made the decision to embark on an excursion inland in the same way that I would decide to spend a day at the seaside. They, like me, certainly are long distance travellers.

The last mile was a bit of a struggle, but as it's through the village a good style had to be maintained, and something to lean on while I recovered was welcome, but that adds another eight miles to my total, bringing my 2017 tally to 851 miles with two and a half months left to try and reach 1000.....But lets not think that far ahead....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I imagine that your fitness level going into into such a devastating illness greatly contributed to your survival. While it takes a certain intrinsic discipline to stay fit, it takes a wholly different level of determination and fortitude when you have been knocked that far down to come back so respectably well.

It's all relative Swimfeeders. Fighting the challenges of time and keeping your chin up in the form of an exercise bike spinning, and your feet moving is not for children!

Good for you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 03:09 AM

OGF, it was not the least bit child today when I went out for one of my last remaining walks before I break out like a filly too long in the stall on Sunday.

With the rising sun illuminating the gulf like vast pools of mercury, I squinted towards the east and set out for a solid six mile walk. The first time I had been along the beach since the storm, my pace was too often broken by my interest in spongy sea cucumbers, gelatinous moon jellyfish, and mermaids purses that littered the shore. With reclaimed focus, I did my best to keep pace with willets and sanderlings racing ahead with one eye on the low tide feast and the other on my interminable shadow. It was only they and a pod of disinterested breakfasting dolphins keeping company for the first three miles. In less than record-breaking time, I made the pivot at the halfway point with the sun warming my back and the faint hint of sea breezes offering a cooling reward for my noble restraint...because all I wanted to to do in those last few miles was...run.

You are so right, OGF, one loses oneself in that maritime forest. It is such a rare and unique feature of our area that I am forever jumping in to protect it from encroaching development. Cool, verdant and teaming with wildlife, it is a very special place.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-10-2017, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
OGF, it was not the least bit child today when I went out for one of my last remaining walks before I break out like a filly too long in the stall on Sunday.

With the rising sun illuminating the gulf like vast pools of mercury, I squinted towards the east and set out for a solid six mile walk. The first time I had been along the beach since the storm, my pace was too often broken by my interest in spongy sea cucumbers, gelatinous moon jellyfish, and mermaids purses that littered the shore. With reclaimed focus, I did my best to keep pace with willets and sanderlings racing ahead with one eye on the low tide feast and the other on my interminable shadow. It was only they and a pod of disinterested breakfasting dolphins keeping company for the first three miles. In less than record-breaking time, I made the pivot at the halfway point with the sun warming my back and the faint hint of sea breezes offering a cooling reward for my noble restraint...because all I wanted to to do in those last few miles was...run.

You are so right, OGF, one loses oneself in that maritime forest. It is such a rare and unique feature of our area that I am forever jumping in to protect it from encroaching development. Cool, verdant and teaming with wildlife, it is a very special place.
Just love this beautifully written piece Surfermom.....
Makes me want to drive to the coast immediately. Unfortunately, My path lies in a different direction today.......A visit to the dentist to repair a broken tooth.....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 03:33 PM

My exercise routine had dropped like a stone since my heart attack two weeks ago, but I'm spending time walking and I'm itching to get back to the gym at some point. Of course, it will have to be baby steps and under supervision at first, but I aim to be back there solo as soon as is practical.

No gym and being off work is driving me nuts.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
My exercise routine had dropped like a stone since my heart attack two weeks ago, but I'm spending time walking and I'm itching to get back to the gym at some point. Of course, it will have to be baby steps and under supervision at first, but I aim to be back there solo as soon as is practical.

No gym and being off work is driving me nuts.
What a terrible shock and setback for you, but you are right, you will get back to the business of working out in due time. Old Grey Fox is an expert on the subject having been victorious over a heart attack in his early 50s and now probably more fit than ever - running long distances several times per week.

Keep us apprised of how you are mending and what you are doing to rebuild your strength and fitness. Very, very pleased you are still with us!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-10-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just love this beautifully written piece Surfermom.....
Makes me want to drive to the coast immediately. Unfortunately, My path lies in a different direction today.......A visit to the dentist to repair a broken tooth.....
So do we get swarthy photos of you sans tooth...or toof...as the case may be? Will you paint a romantic and descriptive post on the experience?

I suppose not.

Anyway I hope the repair is an easy one, that you aren't numb too long, and that you are back out there tomorrow perhaps, working on that record...

Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What a terrible shock and setback for you, but you are right, you will get back to the business of working out in due time. Old Grey Fox is an expert on the subject having been victorious over a heart attack in his early 50s and now probably more fit than ever - running long distances several times per week.

Keep us apprised of how you are mending and what you are doing to rebuild your strength and fitness. Very, very pleased you are still with us!
Thanks very much indeed, that is very kind of you! I did a walk of about 1½ miles today, feeling I could have done more, but have to be realistic and set goals that won't do more harm than good. I'll improve on that, though!

Page 80 of 370 « First < 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top