Join for free
Page 9 of 72 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 01:03 AM

Re: Over 50s Club Yorkshire

Originally Posted by Val J ->
We're in Harrogate now Sue, after wandering around Otley in the rain, it's certainly not holiday weather and if it's no different tomorrow I think we will knock Hawes and the Yorkshire Dales on the head ...... but what do you do on a wet Sunday around here!

I like Wetherby, not a lot there I think but nice walks by the river, weather permitting.

Otley? I'm surprised you managed to find the place, it's not very well signposted is it.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 03:33 PM

We were in Otley 3 weeks ago, it's like home from home for us, we go quite regular
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Otley? I'm surprised you managed to find the place, it's not very well signposted is it.
I used to live just a few miles from Otley when I was growing up, so it was one of those places we visited on a Sunday, we'd take sandwiches and sit in the park by the river. We were easily pleased in those days!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
We were in Otley 3 weeks ago, it's like home from home for us, we go quite regular
I love the place too Sue, on a nice day when there's the little market on, it's great. Did you ever go to Surprise View? What I remember most about it was picking bilberries which grew there.
Val J
East Yorkshire

29-01-2017, 05:57 PM

You were right about the weather myrtle, it's been a lovely day today. We ended up in Skipton, spent a couple of hours there then called in Ilkley on the way back to Harrogate.

I've not heard of the Hornblower in Ripon, sounds interesting, I'll take a look on YouTube now. Thanks for mentioning.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
What I would really have liked to have done is go back to Ripon at 9 PM in the evening to see the Hornblower but I'd booked dinner for 7.30 so didn't get chance. If you are not aware of this tradition there's videos on youtube ... fantastic bit of history
Thanks for that Myrtle.

I had heard of the Ripon Wakeman, but didn't know much more about the tradition, so I googled it and found it fascinating. This site is very helpful and contains some links to other sites:

http://the-ripon-hornblower.webs.com/

I was so taken with it that I've persuaded my first wife that we should go there this summer to see the spectacle at 9pm. We might even be given a wooden 'lucky' penny!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I love the place too Sue, on a nice day when there's the little market on, it's great. Did you ever go to Surprise View? What I remember most about it was picking bilberries which grew there.
No i've never heard of that place?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

30-01-2017, 09:30 AM

Good morning everyone

Going to the Xscape at Glasshoughton near Castleford today, just a 10 min drive away from where i live now. Its my Brothers 70th so were going to check it out as its for all ages.. And then go for a nice meal.
Val J
East Yorkshire

30-01-2017, 06:34 PM

No i've never heard of that place?
I still wouldn't know where to find Surprise View but here's a little bit I found about it on the web. I think its probably part of Otley Chevin.

If this is your first visit, you will have a surprise indeed. By strolling just a few paces from your car you can enjoy a breathtaking panorama across Lower Wharfedale. Almscliffe Crag is a prominent landmark in the valley. On a clear day, you may be able to see Simon's Seat, and even the famous White Horse carved into the hillside at Kilburn. With so much to see, it's easy to forget that you are only a mile (1.6km) away from the bustle of the Leeds-Bradford Airport.
Val J
East Yorkshire

30-01-2017, 06:39 PM

Good morning everyone

Going to the Xscape at Glasshoughton near Castleford today, just a 10 min drive away from where i live now. Its my Brothers 70th so were going to check it out as its for all ages.. And then go for a nice meal.
Hubby got skiing lessons at Xscape for his 70th. He broke his finger on the first lesson and never went back again. I think his ego was badly bruised too!!

Page 9 of 72 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top