Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 03:35 AM

What's your favourite musical era?

Let's split that into decades. What is your favourite, and what do you consider the most influential for today's bands?

Knowing the age range on this forum we may go back to the 1950's (or before?).

Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 03:47 AM

Re: What's your favourite musical era?

Nice one, buddy. This is a tough one for me. I am sentimental to the 70's because that is when I was a child but I wish I could split decades up and say 1967-1979 which will take us from Sgt Pepper to New Wave.

Also, honourable mentions- 80s Brit Synth Pop, 65-67 Byrds, Hollies early Beatles, early Floyd (before poor Syd's demise), 70's R&B and Funk, Disco.

Frankly, you can have most contemporary pop music (he says, old fart that he is...lol)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
Nice one, buddy. This is a tough one for me. I am sentimental to the 70's because that is when I was a child but I wish I could split decades up and say 1967-1979 which will take us from Sgt Pepper to New Wave.

Also, honourable mentions- 80s Brit Synth Pop, 65-67 Byrds, Hollies early Beatles, early Floyd (before poor Syd's demise), 70's R&B and Funk, Disco.

Frankly, you can have most contemporary pop music (he says, old fart that he is...lol)
Good post, Bobby

It's a good if not better idea to split these into periods and genres instead of a strict decade, which could involve many different styles of music.

Like yourself, I would say that mostly we would pick the music from our teens when we began collecting records.
In my case that would be from 1978 onwards with acts such as Abba, Blondie, ELO and genres spanning punk, new-wave, rock, pop, disco-soul and even some progressive rock.

After collecting all these years I would have to say my favourite era would be from about 1965 to 1982, quite a vast and varied scope of musical forms! But having said that, I enjoy most genres and areas before or since those dates.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Good post, Bobby

It's a good if not better idea to split these into periods and genres instead of a strict decade, which could involve many different styles of music.

Like yourself, I would say that mostly we would pick the music from our teens when we began collecting records.
In my case that would be from 1978 onwards with acts such as Abba, Blondie, ELO and genres spanning punk, new-wave, rock, pop, disco-soul and even some progressive rock.

After collecting all these years I would have to say my favourite era would be from about 1965 to 1982, quite a vast and varied scope of musical forms! But having said that, I enjoy most genres and areas before or since those dates.
Thanks, dude! I like your idea of splitting into genres and periods instead of strict decades... too much fluidity (or Floiydyty!) You def have a much wider range than I.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-04-2018, 04:07 AM

Thanks, dude! I like your idea of splitting into genres and periods instead of strict decades... too much fluidity (or Floiydyty!) You def have a much wider range than I.
It's really difficult isn't it, Bobby?
I could say I would even go so back as 1956 and those first Elvis classics. Or right up to date with what Bruce is doing etc. It's not easy to pinpoint our favourites is it?

On my albums thread I did do a breakdown of how many of the 1000 albums I had from each decade and the 1970's came out top, followed by the 80's but it doesn't mean anything I guess!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 04:21 AM

I dont really have a favourite era i like some of every era really. Pop jazz country even some classical

Off to see the Hollies in Harrogate later this month that should be fun.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

12-04-2018, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I dont really have a favourite era i like some of every era really. Pop jazz country even some classical

Off to see the Hollies in Harrogate later this month that should be fun.
Summer and the Hollies! Yay!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 05:13 AM

Hard to say.I like music from the 1750's.
I think the best rock and pop albums were in the 70's.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 05:30 AM

Summer and the Hollies! Yay!
Yup, will be dancing in the aisles that night....The Air That I Breathe
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 08:10 AM

I love the 60s music, but I am also into Reggae, Blues, Soul & Jazz, some Classical music.

Don't like the modern Pop Music of today.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top