Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 05:29 AM

Kilauea Erupting

Kilauea, on the Big Island of Hawai'i, is starting a major eruption pattern with a wide crack opening just inland of a housing subdivision. People in the neighboring Puna area are reporting hundreds of earthquake in the course of a day.

Imagine looking up your street and seeing fountains of lava and as he spewing into the sky:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com

This is the island where i do my astronomy work, so I'm getting a lot of email and pictures.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 06:07 AM

Re: Kilauea Erupting

That sounds really scary, Surfermom. I hope that all those evacuating have remembered to take their pets with them.

Why do people want to build/live so close to a live volcano?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 07:23 AM

We moan about our weather here but thankfully we don't have those things to deal with, I can't imagine how scary it must be living there especially with children, I would be out a there ASAP
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 08:25 AM

Good grief I would be petrified as I imagine they are. I would live in fear all the time if I lived where there was a volcano so I think if at all possible I would move away. I wouldn't want to live in a seismic region. How awful for them
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 09:06 AM

That’s scary Surfermom, it must be so frightening when something like this happens. I hope everyone stays safe.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 09:39 AM

Very scary. I'd not want to live there either, beautiful though the island is.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 03:15 PM

It's a very fascinating and dramatic thing to see. Most of this activity is because one of the downhill craters Pu'u O'o collapsed. Think of a pot of boiling sauce; the heat causes it to expand and push upwards where it bubbles/cools it falls back down pushing the sauce outward in concentric circles. This is what is happening, but since it is pushing outward underground, new cracks are forming, allowing the magma to push up and out of the cracks.

This part of Kilauea has been erupting more or less steadily since 1983, so no one is particularly surprised, and most people who live in the zone have known it was a matter of time. It's very strange to see houses in the middle of lava beds where the lava has flowed around it like frosting or have caused the houses burst into flames. The surprising thing to me is that after the beds cool and settle, some people have return to their homesites and rebuilt. Then again, we do that in storm locations too. Most of the lava flows are very slow making evacuations possible. There have been 1,700 evacuations in the last few days.

All that ash and smoke are creating a lot of air pollution on the island.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

07-05-2018, 02:41 PM

The lava has now taken five homes, more likely. People have been frantically packing up.

So far, the stabilization system for one of the big telescopes has had some minor damage, but Keck II (the one on which I have worked) and the others on Mauna Kea to the northwest are faring well. Only a few of the dozens of the recent quakes have been felt on that mountain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Puna House.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	5875

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
The lava has now taken five homes, more likely. People have been frantically packing up.

So far, the stabilization system for one of the big telescopes has had some minor damage, but Keck II (the one on which I have worked) and the others on Mauna Kea to the northwest are faring well. Only a few of the dozens of the recent quakes have been felt on that mountain.

Attachment 5875
Oh dear, those poor people losing their homes I wonder how many more will be lost.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

08-05-2018, 05:01 AM

Mags, it is an interesting location and group of locals who are fiercely independent, and not unfamiliar with the risks of living near a volcanic flow, but after thirty years, I suppose they thought it wouldn't happen to them. Several of the houses were on the VRBO rental programs and some visitors were frustrated about having to leave.

Summer, I am with you. Lava flows and the toxic fumes that can come with them are not something I would mess with when it comes to children.

More pictures and videos tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top