Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 04:20 PM

Re: Over Fifty years ago I was.....

School days 1953--------------

I disliked my junior school teacher Mr Sebbourne intensely. He was a bully, stingy with praise and quick to put us down, me especially. Although I wasn’t aware at the time, I had just discovered how useful humour can be, sometimes. One bright summer’s day we went out to the park to learn about trees. For making a silly remark and smirking I was sent to the head master for three whacks on top of the three already applied to my already that day for not being able to recite the Lord’s prayer.

My teacher eyed me up on my return with his wobbly eyes, daring me to speak. This tyrant, along with the local sweet shop keeper and devout church side’s man who regularly short changed us kids, put me off of religion until I was in my thirties.

The form master at senior school seemed to find me exasperating. The truth was that I found school work well within my scholastic abilities I became lazy, bored and idle. “Robert is making the dangerous mistake of picking and choosing what he wants to do at school.” So said Mr Elms on my school leaving report. I wasn't surprised at this comment, after all he had been telling me for years. It was a tad unforgiving of him to add that Robert had done all that he had been asked to do. I was damned with faint praise. I don't blame him, he was a product of his times and spot on in his assessment and indeed I would be the first to admit that I have managed to be very picky all of my days, despite what time and tide have thrown at me
I started as I meant to go on. This was demonstrated by my first day at school in 1953. My mother was dismayed to find me back at home within an hour of leaving me in the classroom with the teacher Miss Blake. With hands in pockets I nonchalantly explained that it had been quite nice but I didn't think I would go back. Mum wasted no time in marching me back and my shouts of,
"But I want to be a celebrity when I grow up" were wasted. I was back with these rough children and their snotty noses, silver sleeves and nits. The boys spent far too much time competing with each other to see who could project their wee the highest up the side of the high brick wall enclosing the playground. The girls played dibbs endlessly or skipped, or mixed and matched or discarded their peers coldheartedly.

I grew very fond of my class teacher, Miss Blake. I watched her for hours. Miss Blake made up for the unpleasantness of the school. . She was naturally blonde with lovely soft wavy hair pulled back into a sort of bun at the back of her head. When she was close by, in her fluffy twin set and pink cheeks and warm womanly softness, the air was fillet with her fragrance. I was her slave…

I didn't mind when she began to get very plump, but soon after this development she stopped coming to school. A bad tempered serious lady, Miss Ellis took her place in the class. Not in my affections though. I hadn't noticed Miss Ellis during the time she helped Miss Blake, but now she was our teacher and life took a sharp downwards turn.

She stood next to my desk with her hands piled upon one of my books reeking of Lifebuoy soap. "Why is your workbook empty boy?" she snarled at me. I was about to say that it was obviously because I hadn't done any work, when her hand grabbed my wrist and slapped it.

Things got worse, but not for me. One of the many less able children was bullied unmercifully by Miss Ellis and he eventually broke his arm when the carrboard box she has put him, in on top of the wardrobe fell to the floor. He wasn't very bright, before or after the fall.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 04:41 PM

You really have such wonderful, although traumatic memories Young Robert.
You have me hooked, and maybe inspired me to take up writing again, something I have neglected for quite a few years.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Thank you again for a good read even though at your expense Robert.

Lots of memories of my schooldays but not for here, as unlike Friutcake, I don't believe that without writing talent someone, somewhere will be interested to hear it.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Thank you, master Junior, I enjoyed that. I often wonder if anyone is interested in anything I have to offer, and over the years I have found it to be so.
Everyone has tales to tell, and someone somewhere will be interested to hear it.
Thanks for that FC, I think I have been damned with faint praise once more.

"Someone somewhere will be interested to hear it"
"There's a place for us somewhere"
(in the style of PJ Proby)
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2018, 09:16 PM

I am so pleased to have enthused you, & look forward to reading your thoughts.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Thank you again for a good read even though at your expense Robert.

Lots of memories of my schooldays but not for here, as unlike Friutcake, I don't believe that without writing talent someone, somewhere will be interested to hear it.
Solo, you are a great encourager, as well as a fountain of wisdom.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Seven pillars of Wisdom.
T.E. Lawrence.
During the years 1948 -1953,my parents had a spare room reserved for when my father’s brother was on shore leave from the Navy.
Uncle Bob was my uncle
. Pun intended.
We had few books in the house, however Bob had a small collection including the Seven Pillars of Wisdom. There was only one volume so I guessed the other six might turn up one day, they never did.

Other books were the Kama Sutra, the Bible and a couple of others which I don’t remember the titles or authors. Oh yes , there was a book about gardening, “The Perfumed Garden”..

They all looked boring and had brown paper covers. I never opened them.

As a young man I was in awe of the man , played by Peter O Toole , his finest hour, in David Leans sumptuous “Lawrence of Arabia”.

Finally, I come to my point.

After a time lapse of FIFTY, nay 60 plus years,
I have obtained a copy from Amazon & have reached page 7, coincidentally..
Very powerful & incredibly detailed account of his career & the time’s he lived in.
Anyone read it? I have 660 pages to go now
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 09:03 AM

A very interesting read of your bygone days, Robert...

Your new book should be a good read, it will certainly keep you out of mischief for a while ..... 660 pages to go - wow!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2018, 09:14 AM

Thank you for that Mags.

I am a glutton for punishment. The last long book I read was

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany
by William L. Shirer

1604 pages
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2018, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mags ->
a very interesting read of your bygone days, robert...

Your new book should be a good read, it will certainly keep you out of mischief for a while ..... 660 pages to go - wow! :-d
mischief?? Moi??

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top