Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 04:30 PM

Warning for TSB customers

Whatever will these scammers think of next!
I have just received this alert:

There has been an increase in reports made in May by TSB customers relating to “port-out” fraud. Fraudsters are number porting a victim’s telephone number to a SIM card under their control and then using the number to access the victim’s bank accounts.

The increase in the number of reports corresponds with the timing of TSB’s computer system update, which resulted in 1.9 million users being locked out of their accounts. Opportunistic fraudsters are using TSB’s system issue to target individuals, which follows the increase in phishing and smishing communications also targeting TSB customers this month. Victims’ bank account and personal details including their phone number are collected by the fraudster, providing them with the information to execute the fraud.

Number porting is a genuine service provided by telecommunication companies. It allows customers to keep their existing phone number and transfer it to a new SIM card. The existing network provider sends the customer a Port Authorisation Code (PAC), that when presented to the new provider allows the number to be transferred across. This service can, however, be abused by fraudsters.

To gain control of the victim’s phone number, fraudsters convince the victim’s mobile phone network provider to swap their number on to a SIM card in the fraudster’s control. Once the fraudster has control of the number they are able to intercept the victims’ text messages, allowing them to use services linked to the victim’s phone number. This can include requesting an online banking password reset or access to any two factor authentication services.

Victims have reported large losses as a result of this fraud. One victim initially dismissed text messages received from their network provider containing a PAC number. Two days later £6,000 was removed from the victim’s TSB current account. The victim subsequently contacted their phone provider and was informed that someone contacted the provider purporting to be the victim and had cancelled their contract and transferred their number to a new SIM. This action allowed the banking fraud to take place.

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Re: Warning for TSB customers

For this very reason/possibility I only keep around £100 in my TSB account within the rest stashed away in a savings account my card can't access. And TSB only has my landline number.

I've not been happy with TSB lately with their IT transfer debacle but am too old and ill and lazy to change banks.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
For this very reason/possibility I only keep around £100 in my TSB account within the rest stashed away in a savings account my card can't access. And TSB only has my landline number.
Yep this is eminently sensible. I too have a current account and a separate saving account. The latter has most of my money in it. The current account has very little at any point in time. I regularly transfer money from savings to current account as and when needed. If my current account card gets stolen, hacked or otherwise compromised then I can't lose a lot of money.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 07:17 PM

Because of the issues TSB has had, they have increased their interest rate to 3% from 1.5%.

But I tried to phone them yesterday and no reply............they really could do with more staff!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top