Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Car Service

My car is going in for a full service in a couple of weeks time.

I didn't know until I asked, but I assumed on a full service they checked the air con, but apparently they don't. That is an extra.

So how much would you expect to pay, just roughly, for a full service (the big one), and air con drain and refill?

They told me the air con should be done every 2 years.
Would you agree with this?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 02:52 PM

Re: Car Service

Hi

there is no straight answer to your question Mups.

It depends what make and model your car is and how old and how many miles it has done.

Depending on age/mileage a full service could include the cambelts being changed, the transmission and brake fluids etc.

Air Con change costs £35 locally, which is cheap.

My last service was a biggie, the 60,000 mile one.

It cost me £130, a third of the main dealer cost.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 03:40 PM

I understand that now they have to use a new gas for aircons

"As of 2017, a new type of air conditioning gas is required by law for all new vehicles. The gas, called HFO-1234yf, replaces previous refrigerants, as it produces 98% fewer climate-damaging pollutants than its predecessor, R134a."
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 05:35 PM

My last full service was over £200 at local garage where I lived before, wouldn't go there again!
Aircon gas is about £36 hereabouts.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Hi mups I have a small service one year and a big one the next , small approx £60 and big approx £ 130. My mechanic comes to the house and usually with me a good couple of hours . He did air con this year £28 . I never go to the seat' dealer .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 06:27 PM

You can still get R134a if that's what the car uses. No need to change.
Also, if the a/c is currently working - tell them to leave it alone. You would only decant, leak test & refill if it has a problem, so don't get conned Mups.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 06:58 PM

Our first service is £275
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 07:32 PM

We have taken ot a 3 yr service plan on the Nissan and will do on Sue's Honda when it is out of warranty.

I know it sounds a load of cash But long term the price is fixed for each service and as service costs go up we think we are on a winner. Included in that is RAC breakdown cover There is a slight advantage as well if selling a car ( heavens knows how many cars I have had) with a main dealer stamped log book. it can add a few hundred £ to the resale value let alone more desirable to purchasers
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I understand that now they have to use a new gas for aircons

"As of 2017, a new type of air conditioning gas is required by law for all new vehicles. The gas, called HFO-1234yf, replaces previous refrigerants, as it produces 98% fewer climate-damaging pollutants than its predecessor, R134a."

The chap in the garage said that too, RS.
I queried the price becuase it seemed a lot dearer than where my son goes at Halford's.
I believe Halfords were £40 for a top up, or £50 if you wanted a clean and refill.
At Fiat they want £79! He told me it was because they were using the new gases and they were a lot dearer to buy.

The big service this year is £199.

I am wondering whether to cancel it and shop around.

Thanks very much for your opinions and prices everyone, much appreciated.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 09:29 PM

@Mups - does your a/c work at the moment?
The new refrigerant is cheaper, not dearer for a start - so they are talking bull.

My original trade is commercial refrigeration & a/c. I've repaired car a/c countless times in the past.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top