Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2018, 10:12 PM

Re: The View from Abroad

And so it continues.

Promises of economic disaster fly around all over the place now.

Funny, though, how despite Brexit just around the corner the country's economy and employment seem to be booming!

Perhaps we should just wait until we have actually left the EU before jumping up and down with glee, eh?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2018, 10:52 PM

Not sure how much proof you need that there is something very wrong going on with the economy and infrastructure right now. How many companies have to shut or leave for you to accept that all is not rosy? The economy is certainly not booming, why do you think it is? It's flat-lining.

Brexit aside, we also have to deal with the impact of trade wars and automation. In respect of the latter we are seeing high street shops close as the internet takes over. So as well as companies planning to leave due to brexit uncertainty we have job losses all round and will be faced with higher prices because of unfavourable global economic changes.

It seems most people voted leave thinking the global status quo would apply and things would go on as before but we would be free to do our own thing. But the external environment is changing and fast. Oh and our government don't actually seem to know what they are doing.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And so it continues.

Promises of economic disaster fly around all over the place now.

Funny, though, how despite Brexit just around the corner the country's economy and employment seem to be booming!

Perhaps we should just wait until we have actually left the EU before jumping up and down with glee, eh?
Hi

I agree, nobody knows what will happen.

Brexiters is not going the way I wanted.

I wanted a Swiss type deal, but that has been ruled out.

The Hard Brexiters say we will be better off with their ideas.

I hope they are right and can deliver on their promises.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I agree, nobody knows what will happen.

Brexiters is not going the way I wanted.

I wanted a Swiss type deal, but that has been ruled out.

The Hard Brexiters say we will be better off with their ideas.

I hope they are right and can deliver on their promises.
I, too, would be happy with a Swiss deal, although I'm afraid that our glorious leaders don't have the balls to behave like those of other EU countries who just ignore diktats with which they disagree and so, on that basis, we'd probably be best out completely.

I'd also very much like to benefit from the Swiss referendum system. That must be the most democratic of the various types of democracy in the world.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Currently the EU is growing faster than forecast.
The UK is growing at the slowest rate of all major economies.
Inward investment is down at least 50%.
Contracts like the recent one awarded to BAE by Australia may be awarded to UK forms but the ships will be built in Australia and the UK will get no employment benefit out of it at all. This is increasingly the case with large contracts.

As Annie said, if anyone thought this was going to be a walk in the park or that things were going to be easy/better/triumphal/exemplary/enviable, they needed their heads examining. If they thought they could get any concessions from the EU or play up the "longterm relationship" pity card, or that they would be in the drivers' seat because "they need us more than we need them" and that security wasn't going to be touched...time is all that is needed to prove them misguided.

I did say...no one listened. Tough.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Hi

Brexit is no big thing for the EU.

They have accepted that we are leaving, sad that we are, but they accept it.

They are now looking after themselves, not the UK.

That is how things work.

There will be no favours given at all.

This is no different to any Trade Deal that we sign in future.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top