Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 10:04 AM

Advice sought on a replacement program

I wonder if anyone can advise me. I’ve just changed computers and I can no longer use a software package that I’ve been relying on. It is called Xara xtreme 4. I used it a lot to make simple graphical documents. Cropping, rotating and assembling bits of text and pictures. I was hardly using all the features available. That version is no longer available on Windows 10 which I now have to use. The current version is far more advanced with 3D graphics and photo manipulation. It also comes at a hefty price.

So, can anyone recommend a simple and cheap alternative?

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Re: Advice sought on a replacement program

You might find what you want among these: https://creativemarket.com/blog/illu...r-alternatives
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Going to a later version may not be as expensive as thought. An updated replacement called 'Xara Photo & Graphic Designer' costs £50. You might find (as I did) that versions subsequent the Xara Xtreme 4 are better in many ways and not so good in others. For instance, some of the filters that could be added to version 4 may not work in a later version.

Xara Photo & Graphic Designer does all of the drawing functions that Xara Xtreme 4 does and is almost a direct replacement with the added features you have mentioned. £50 is the new customer purchase price and perhaps Xara Xtreme 4 is too old to qualify for the less expensive upgrade price. That could be worth looking into though.

https://www.magix.com/gb/photo-graph...phic-designer/

If you want a free drawing program to replace Xara Xtreme 4, consider using Inkscape. This is not so simple to use but it can do the sort of thing you are describing once you are familiar with it.

https://inkscape.org/en/

Edit: If you are willing to pay for a program, Serif's Affinity Designer is also worth a look at for under £50.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 12:18 PM

According to the blurb on this website:

https://help.xara.com/article/14-wil...ion-of-windows

It should be possible to install and run your program as an Administrator provided that it's the CD version and not a download.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 01:30 PM

Go back to Windows 7 imo. It'll just be the start of your frustrations with Win 10.
yggdrasil
South West
yggdrasil is female 

07-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Realist: That's the best answer yet! I have Win7 on my desktop and I dread the day I have to give it up. I have win 10 on my laptop and use it as little as I can
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 03:09 PM

I get the impression that Mr. M has bought a new PC that came pre-loaded with Win 10 so how can he `go back` to Win 7 without paying for it?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I get the impression that Mr. M has bought a new PC that came pre-loaded with Win 10 so how can he `go back` to Win 7 without paying for it?
Depends on whether he has a proper copy of Win 7 on his previous computer.

If so, if he has the Windows disks and associated license key then he can install it on whatever PC/laptop he likes.

There are of course some difficulties associated with taking a new computer that came with Win 10, and taking that off and installing Win 7.

The Windows part is easy.

It's the reinstall of any drivers for the graphics, processor and other parts. Possible incompatibilities etc.

A bit of work, but certainly possible.

If it didn't work you could always revert back to the PC's recovery partition and go back to Win 10.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 05:51 PM

Yes, my new computer is already loaded with Windows 10. Microsoft make sure that the manufacturers are playing ball.

I will certainly look into inkscape. It may well be the answer.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2018, 06:40 PM

Although you can do without the extra options such as 3D in later versions of Xara, they can be quite effective in making graphic elements for inserting into documents etc. Just another option to use when designing flyers etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top