Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 11:25 PM

Re: General election

I can't see any reason why there would be a general election at this time (we are not due one until 2022 ) but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a leadership challenge for May and if there is one it would have to be soon with the summer recess upon us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 11:54 PM

Just watching 'Press Preview' on the TV news and see that there is a suggestion (in The Times, I think) that the only real answer to this lack of agreement is to have another referendum.

It struck me that this could be Ireland all over again: keep having referenda until the populace votes to remain!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
no, leave won and to have another vote would have just been a waste of time us all voting in a so called democracy. Someone said here if they do have another vote they would never vote again. I feel exactly the same.
I applaud your feelings Lion Queen, but wouldn't that action just demonstrate that The Remainers had a good point in fighting for a second vote?

If we all took the attitude of " If you didn't listen to my vote the first time, then I am not playing so I wont vote again" it will show that the leavers didn't really understand what they had voted for and it was right to get another vote.

This was a battle I wanted to win so I will never give up fighting to leave, but if we all do the same as you, we will lose the battle, just because somebody wants to show that democracy has failed.
It is a bit like soldiers, who didn't want to fight any more, hiding in their bunkers till the war is over.... then finding that the other side won!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 07:26 AM

Hi

We are a very divided nation, the Referendum result was very close as was the last Election.

The Government is divided and is being held to ransom by two groups of MPs, both Ultra Right Wing, the DUP and the ERG of Conservative MPs.

Waiting in the wings is a Labour Party I want no part of,led by a Marxist and the Momentum Group.

It is not a matter of choosing which is best for the Country, but rather which is the least worst.

There is an appalling lack of pragmatism amongst both sides, it is a battle of Political Ideologies, with Joe Muggins in the middle.

Other Countries do not have this problem and I put this down to them having better Politicians than we do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I applaud your feelings Lion Queen, but wouldn't that action just demonstrate that The Remainers had a good point in fighting for a second vote?

If we all took the attitude of " If you didn't listen to my vote the first time, then I am not playing so I wont vote again" it will show that the leavers didn't really understand what they had voted for and it was right to get another vote.

This was a battle I wanted to win so I will never give up fighting to leave, but if we all do the same as you, we will lose the battle, just because somebody wants to show that democracy has failed.
It is a bit like soldiers, who didn't want to fight any more, hiding in their bunkers till the war is over.... then finding that the other side won!
You make a very good point.

I, too, have said that if democracy is now dead in this country there is no point in my voting again.

However, if they do re-run the referendum (how many times, I wonder?) I shall certainly vote to leave again, as the fight would not yet be over.

Voting in a general election, however, is another matter.

I would vote for UKIP, of course, but would not vote Conservative - a party which appears to be ignoring our votes and therefore is, by definition, bringing about the loss of democracy. Needless to say, I would never vote for Labour at all: it has for a very long time been a destructive force in this country, and even more so with Compo and Momentum.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You make a very good point.

I, too, have said that if democracy is now dead in this country there is no point in my voting again.

However, if they do re-run the referendum (how many times, I wonder?) I shall certainly vote to leave again, as the fight would not yet be over.

Voting in a general election, however, is another matter.

I would vote for UKIP, of course, but would not vote Conservative - a party which appears to be ignoring our votes and therefore is, by definition, bringing about the loss of democracy. Needless to say, I would never vote for Labour at all: it has for a very long time been a destructive force in this country, and even more so with Compo and Momentum.
I understand your feelings on UKIP and I would have voted that way too if Farage had shown the courage to continue. As he didn't and the rest of UKIP are weak, I couldn't waste my vote because it would be just like voting for Labour...as UKIP have no chance of winning or even getting close!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-07-2018, 10:53 AM

I understand your feelings on UKIP and I would have voted that way too if Farage had shown the courage to continue. As he didn't and the rest of UKIP are weak, I couldn't waste my vote because it would be just like voting for Labour...as UKIP have no chance of winning or even getting close!
Yes, a valid point.

But that really depends upon how many people are willing to take the step.

Many think as you do: oh, a wasted vote that will let Labour in.

Until that barrier is overcome, we shall never escape from the existing two-party system, and we can all see the serious disadvantages to that.

The same happened at the turn of the 20th Century: Labour arose because of the poor treatment of the workers by the owners of industry: a very effective driving force for its creation.

What is happening now is the erosion of democracy: the people are being ignored by whichever of the two main parties happens to be in government, and nothing quite as serious as what is being discussed now - the future independence of this country or it's eventual loss.

Surely, that is reason enough for a new political party to arise.

Can we be as adventurous as our forebears a hundred years ago?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:31 AM

Depressing to see people are still plugged into the "Matrix" believing that voting Tory or Labour makes a difference. They ALL work for the same unseen masters who got successive governments (both Tory and Labour) to push the UK into the EU over the past 40 years.

A vote for Tory or Labour or Lib-dems and even the BNP is a vote for the EU plain and simple.

Time to stop bickering about these parties and realise that you are enslaved and will stay that way with an ever decreasing standard of life and wealth while ever you keep voting these elitists into power.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

16-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, a valid point.

But that really depends upon how many people are willing to take the step.

Many think as you do: oh, a wasted vote that will let Labour in.

Until that barrier is overcome, we shall never escape from the existing two-party system, and we can all see the serious disadvantages to that.

The same happened at the turn of the 20th Century: Labour arose because of the poor treatment of the workers by the owners of industry: a very effective driving force for its creation.

What is happening now is the erosion of democracy: the people are being ignored by whichever of the two main parties happens to be in government, and nothing quite as serious as what is being discussed now - the future independence of this country or it's eventual loss.

Surely, that is reason enough for a new political party to arise.

Can we be as adventurous as our forebears a hundred years ago?
You could be right JBR but I think we need to see a strong, popular leader in the potential new winning party. If Farage had remained and invested a few years into persuading people, he may have succeeded and got my vote. Sadly I got the impression that he got what he wanted by Brexit winning, but he then went off seeking different fortunes...so I lost faith in him!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-07-2018, 12:12 PM

You could be right JBR but I think we need to see a strong, popular leader in the potential new winning party. If Farage had remained and invested a few years into persuading people, he may have succeeded and got my vote. Sadly I got the impression that he got what he wanted by Brexit winning, but he then went off seeking different fortunes...so I lost faith in him!
You're right, but he has said that he will be back unless May's version of Brexit isn't ditched.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top