Join for free
View Poll Results: should the British national and religious character be enshrined in law
YES 12 52.17%
NO 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Re: national referendum on law to enshrine British way of life

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Denmark has passed a law that states all animals must be prestunned before slaughter no exemptions for religious reasons . We should do the same .
I can't disagree with that.
I chose pigs because the videos show clearly it is not only halal
slaugther houses that are less than humane.

Women fought for the freedom to be equal, to wear or not wear the burqa doesn't fall into that in your world ? You might see groups of ME women with an odd one wearing a burqa, it would appear to me it is a personal choice, or at least a domestic issue. Given a generation or 2 the need to wear it in UK will probably disappear.

Tommy muddies the water by interferring in cases that are in court, same outcome if it were an all English case.

Circumcision for medical reasons is totally different to the wholesale snip of all male infants, appeasing yet another sky fairy for no apparent reason. There is a comparison to FGM, in that it's a cultural/religious anachronism.
I am NOT supporting FGM, it is abhorrent, but I am equal handed.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 08:49 AM

well there we are poll closed and a resounding victory for being sensible but also loyal to your country. let me remind you again:

govt in Britain [any govt] proposed to introduced legislation to enshrine British national and religious character into law. Would you vote YES or NO?
YES a resounding YES - and a view I of course agree with - all countries need a national and religious character in law - maybe we should set an example to the rest of Europe?

there is nothing wrong about being proud of your country and defending vigorously any attempts to change that character whether people use violent or passive immigration. Best of wishes for the future UK - you deserve the best!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->

Women fought for the freedom to be equal, to wear or not wear the burqa doesn't fall into that in your world ? You might see groups of ME women with an odd one wearing a burqa, it would appear to me it is a personal choice
Covering the face is an anathema not a personal choice .
Ask any woman in Afghanistan , Pakistan or Saudi Arabia
It's a symbol of oppression that is an affront to the dignity of every woman ( and an insult to men ) in this day and age .

There is a comparison to FGM, in that it's a cultural/religious anachronism.
I am NOT supporting FGM, it is abhorrent, but I am equal handed.
That is because you are a man .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:28 AM

I can't remember whether this point has been made yet, and 12 pages is a lot of words to read back over.

If any foreign culture decides to come to this country and live here permanently and become British Citizens, I assume that they would want to become part of this country in all ways.

Wearing different clothing and especially covering faces surely says, "I'm here, but I don't want to be part of your country".

The same people seem to live in 'ghettos': areas dominated by themselves and avoided by those who are not of their culture. Sharia law also comes into this.

So effectively we have two distinct countries in one, each having different aims and intentions. How can we hope to succeed if parts of our country don't identify themselves as British.

Yes, I exaggerate of course. There are many muslims who want to integrate and have integrated; usually the more educated people. However, I believe that the best way for any country to flourish is for the vast majority of its people to feel a complete part of it and work together for the common good rather than wish to identify themselves as completely separate.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I can't remember whether this point has been made yet, and 12 pages is a lot of words to read back over.

If any foreign culture decides to come to this country and live here permanently and become British Citizens, I assume that they would want to become part of this country in all ways.

Wearing different clothing and especially covering faces surely says, "I'm here, but I don't want to be part of your country".

The same people seem to live in 'ghettos': areas dominated by themselves and avoided by those who are not of their culture. Sharia law also comes into this.

So effectively we have two distinct countries in one, each having different aims and intentions. How can we hope to succeed if parts of our country don't identify themselves as British.

Yes, I exaggerate of course. There are many muslims who want to integrate and have integrated; usually the more educated people. However, I believe that the best way for any country to flourish is for the vast majority of its people to feel a complete part of it and work together for the common good rather than wish to identify themselves as completely separate.

agreed totally - and that is why Israel is doing what its doing too by the way!! - ya all have a nice day now!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

That makes sense to me JBR. If they accept British laws, speak English and integrate they will, in fact, become British . There is no need to have multiculturalism because they would all become the same as others in their chosen country!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-07-2018, 10:47 AM

oh and they're not permitted to enjoy some small pleasures of their own cultural practices and perhaps share them with yuz all [well perhaps not you twinky - you wouldn't know how to hold a vindaloo?]

become British .
yes twinkle toes but have we defined 'british' yet and the intricate steps to take to 'become british' but first of all twinkle toes please define british? - I know you can do it if you really strain!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
oh and they're not permitted to enjoy some small pleasures of their own cultural practices and perhaps share them with yuz all [well perhaps not you twinky - you wouldn't know how to hold a vindaloo?]

yes twinkle toes but have we defined 'british' yet and the intricate steps to take to 'become british' but first of all twinkle toes please define british? - I know you can do it if you really strain!!
I would define British to anybody who was well mannered enough to ask, without being rude, but I think that rules you out Gummy!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I would define British to anybody who was well mannered enough to ask, without being rude, but I think that rules you out Gummy!
you just can't do it can you?? - always a safe way out response!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

23-07-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
you just can't do it can you?? - always a safe way out response!
Well I certainly won't do it for you!

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top