Join for free
Page 16 of 24 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Re: The Windrush Debacle

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
I do understand that SOME people have received less than satisfactory treatment but that is going to be put right and they have been promised compensation.
It's not "less than satisfactory" but disgraceful. Your friend may have been fortunate but many people who came from these countries have not been so happy here, facing discrimination and marginalisation. Many of these people had ancestors who were enslaved by British landowners. So it's not like they should be made to feel grateful for being here an having a better life in the UK.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not "less than satisfactory" but disgraceful. Your friend may have been fortunate but many people who came from these countries have not been so happy here, facing discrimination and marginalisation. Many of these people had ancestors who were enslaved by British landowners. So it's not like they should be made to feel grateful for being here an having a better life in the UK.
Whats having ancestors who were slaves got to do with anything?

They could have applied for passports under the 1971 Immigration Act some chose to, others didnt.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 02:51 PM

They could have applied for passports under the 1971 Immigration Act some chose to, others didnt.

I don't know whether you know this, but London Transport opened recruiting offices in the West Indies in the 1950s.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 03:56 PM

It's only a couple of years ago that Jamaica was calling on Britain to pay them compensation for the slave trade. It's not like their ancestors were given any choice to go to Jamaica in the first place and Britain had a big role in that. Now they are being threatened with force to go back. It's pretty obvious why this is such an emotive issue for the West Indian community.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 04:30 PM

Amber Rudd, the scumbag 'nasty party's' Home Secretary has stood up in the house and declared that she wasn't aware of the deportation targets set by her predecessor. Total Bullshit!!! - of course she knew, it was discussed in the 'house' many, many times over the past eight years and was even in the scumbag 'nasty party's' manifestos.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b04aa23f1fece1
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

26-04-2018, 04:59 PM

Amber Rudd caught out in blatant lie!!!

Got her!!! -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8323011.html
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 05:05 PM

Hilarious! Diane Abbot demanding that Amber Rudd should resign over the Windrush 'debacle'. Yes, Abbot, possibly THE most incompetent creature that ever roamed planet Earth, actually managed to throw a few words together and make a sentence.

You have to laugh I suppose.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

26-04-2018, 05:12 PM

Very appropriate cartoon!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...candal-cartoon
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-04-2018, 05:19 PM

I quite like Amber Rudd. I don't see this as her fault because it's been brewing for years, although of course she has no choice but to now take the blame.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hilarious! Diane Abbot demanding that Amber Rudd should resign over the Windrush 'debacle'. Yes, Abbot, possibly THE most incompetent creature that ever roamed planet Earth, actually managed to throw a few words together and make a sentence.

You have to laugh I suppose.
I can't even listen to her anymore, she makes me cringe.
Yes, quite possibly the most inept brain dead politician ever.
How she has remained in a job quite literally beggars belief.

Page 16 of 24 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top