Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:04 AM

Finding that calm place

The world is filled with hate at the moment and its easy to be swept along with it. I have this poem hanging up in my house and I read it from time to time, it is a good lesson for life, it contains wise words and good advice. Reading it helps me feel calm, it helps soothe my spirit when I think the world around me has lost its mind.

Take a minute, read it, breathe and remember a better world begins in our own decisions.

"Desiderata"

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Re: Finding that calm place

This part strikes a chord with me ...

Originally Posted by Cass
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:48 AM

I've had a copy of "Desiderata" that I've carried around since the 70's. It's stuck to the door to my lounge now and has given me comfort over the years.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:25 AM

I also have had a copy of this since the 70s I used to have it hung on the wall don't know why I took it down. Will have to frame it again I think.

Such beautiful words
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:40 AM

I find being out in the countryside and sinking in to my environment works for me.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 12:10 PM

I too have the desiderata in a frame on a wall of My wee summerhouse at the bottom of the garden...My 'calm' place with lavender plants and candles where I shut out the World when needed,x
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 04:05 PM

I have this in my kitchen and read it often , the words mean a lot to me . Lovely Thankyou
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:57 PM

I particularly love the very last line Cass - "Be cheerful, strive to be happy."

My yoga teacher always drums into us "Think positive, always think positive." She says never allow ourselves to have negative thoughts.

Best place for me to find peace is in my garden, surrounded by my beautiful roses, or somewhere out in the countryside on my own with my dogs.

I also remember feeling enormous tranquility watching and smelling the sea too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Accentuate the Positive, hasn't that been enshrined in song.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:15 PM

Beautiful piece. I find peace in my garden, especially listening to the dawn chorus and watching the light changing as the sun rises or just tending to plants. Walks with the dog as the seasons change. Long hikes with friends in the countryside. On the yoga mat with a candle (for some reason this was particularly serene when it was pouring down the other day). Reading a good book in a scented bath while sipping a long latte (a Weekend morning ritual). Baking cakes or cooking a complicated meal (you can see and smell the results as you go)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top