Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Re: Tummy Bloating

Thanks Art.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I don't know how to make my own bread and don't have a bread making machine, so would have to kneed the dough myself
You can buy proper bread from an artisan bakery if you don't want to learn to make your own. Aside from that though NO you don't have to knead the dough in the sense that you imply. If you read posts I have made in other "bready" related threads you'll see that I highlight the "10 second knead" method which is simply pinching a little dough with your fingertips rather than conventional kneading. It's very very easy, not the least bit strenuous and perfect for people with arthritic hands.

and I don't have the time to do these things when I have a lot of things going on here at the moment.
This is merely a question of life priorities. I make healthy sourdough loaves regularly. When I make one I spend no more than 10 to 15 mins of actual "doing" time. "Doing" time means weighing the ingredients, mixing them and doing 4 of the "10 second kneads". The rest of the time, 10+ hours is Nature doing the work not me.

I've heard a few people on the forum say they don't have time to make their own bread. I will maintain that they do. Everyone can find 15 mins of time to do something even if it means missing their precious soap operas and reality TV shows. Just a question of what is important to you in life.

A bread machine BTW would NOT be a good thing. Don't go that route imo. Learn how to make your own bread. Remember bread is generally not healthy unless it has been long fermented and most bread machines won't do that.

I will willingly teach anyone on the forum how to make decent bread.

The reason why I eat this bread is for fibre, as the Hospital has told me that I am lacking terribly in fibre has I have Pocket Disease.
Eating supermarket bread is, imho, a very poor way of taking your dietry fibre.

Each slice of your super seeded bread contains just 2.9g of fibre but comes with wheat that hasn't been long fermented and the other bread additives, flour enhancers etc.

I would personally ditch that idea in favour of these far superior sources:

Beans and pulses

Navy beans contain 11g fibre per 100g
Lentils, Adzuki Beans, Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Red Kidney Beans and Chickpeas are also good

Cereals (WITHOUT HIGH SUGAR)

2 Shredded Wheat "biscuits" will give you 6g fibre
2 Weetabix "bisks" will give you 3.8g fibre

Fruits

Passion fruit has 10g per 100g
Raspberries have 7g per 100g
Bananas have 3g per 100g

Vegetables

Avocados have around 13g fibre each
Garden peas have 6g fibre per 100g
Brocolli has 3g per 100g
Parsnips have 5g per 100g
Carrots 3g per 100g

Seeds

Chia seeds a massive 34g of fibre per 100g
Flax seeds 27g per 100g
Pumpkin seeds 18g per 100g
Dried coconut 16g per 100g

Nuts

Almonds have 13g per 100g
Pine nutes 11g per 100g
Pistachios 11g per 100g
Hazelnuts 10g per 100g
and so on

In your position, where you've been recommended to eat more fibre, I would simply do something like this:

Breakfast

Shredded Wheat or Weetabix with strawberries, raspberries and bananas on top

Lunch

Giddled chicken salad with a range of good stuff inc lettuce, spring onions, radishes, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber
some mixed beans and a whole avocado chopped up and thrown in.

Dinner

Fish or meat with a range of 4 to 5 seasonal vegetables.
Typically I often make a quick and simple ratatouille with red onions, peppers, courgettes, french beans, mini sweet corn, garlic and tomatoes and some spices/herbs thrown in.

Just chop it all up throw in a saucepan with a little oil. Takes 10 min ish to cook. Simple and delishious.

Snack

Finally I would make yourself up a big batch of trail mix. Lots of different nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts, and shredded coconut and a few dried fruits like apricots, raisins and cranberries.

Much on that throughout the day and you'll be getting plenty of fibre.

Lot's of options really. Basically just eat plenty of decent real food. Everything else will then drop into place.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Very sensationalist post and sadly full of untruths. I never mentioned curing all ills. I merely suggested she stopped eating crappy bread from supermarkets. I still strongly suggest that she does.

Nope none of that happened. I made no diagnosis, and made no suggestions of treatment for her various ailments.
I simply suggested she stop eating crappy supermarket bread.

There's nothing at all wrong about giving up supermarket bread in favour of properly made bread and it's not the least bit dangerous. It's an extremely healthy thing to do.

I am not arguing with you Realist, because you twist everything I say.
For example, trying to imply I said home made bread was harmful! Ridiculous, when it is quite clear that I meant telling someone to bake their own bread instead of seeing her doctor could be dangerous. You twisted my comment.

I stand by what I said and will not change my mind.
Susie is doing the right thing by seeing a doctor first to rule out anything serious.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am not arguing with you Realist, because you twist everything I say. For example, trying to imply I said home made bread was harmful! Ridiculous!

I stand by what I said and will not change my mind.
Susie is doing the right thing by seeing a doctor first to rule out anything serious.
I agree with you Mups and Susie is doing just that, because bloating can be caused by something trivial, but it can also be something very serious.

Some people become obsessed with eating the right food, but we are all different and metabolize foods differently so what suits one may not suit another.
I know my body better than anybody, so always question suggestions made by somebody who knows nothing about me and my digestion!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree with you Mups and Susie is doing just that, because bloating can be caused by something trivial, but it can also be something very serious.

Some people become obsessed with eating the right food, but we are all different and metabolize foods differently so what suits one may not suit another.
I know my body better than anybody, so always question suggestions made by somebody who knows nothing about me and my digestion!

Exactly Twink.
I am glad at least someone hasn't got a problem grasping what I am saying!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ridiculous, when it is quite clear that I meant telling someone to bake their own bread instead of seeing her doctor could be dangerous. You twisted my comment.
You're hoisting yourself by your own petard Mups. Where did I ever say that she should bake her own bread instead of seeing a doctor.

I made no such statement. That was simply your ASSumption. Like the rest of the assertions you made in your initial rant. You made a mistake and looking back, you're unable to simply concede it and apologise. Poor show.

The issue of eating good proper bread is entirely separate from any ailments or conditions that are involved here. I have commented only on the issue of poor bread vs good bread. Everything else you made up. As I said, poor show.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-06-2018, 11:19 PM

Well you see things your way Realist, and I see them mine.
I will not enter into further debate on your posts.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Susie, l had the same symptoms before it was discovered l had gallstones.

Someone on here advised me to take Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother. This l did and it cured my reflux and bloated tummy.
I no longer have a mother - could I borrow one from someone else?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I no longer have a mother - could I borrow one from someone else?
Don't worry Silver Tabby, I will adopt you!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 07:33 AM

The only things which I eat very occasionally and I know bloats My stomach are tiger rolls,,they smell and taste deelish,and I sometimes can't resist buying & eating a couple every now and then...Tesco should be banned from selling them

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top