Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Dogs for the deaf

Is there such a thing as dogs best suited for the deaf ?
Perhaps a mid-size dog that does not need huge amounts of exercise (like a husky needs) ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 09:12 AM

Re: Dogs for the deaf

Small happy dogs .

I meant YAPPY ones

Terriors or Dachunds
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 09:16 AM

When I worked in the Diabetes Centre we had a Chiropodist who was profoundly deaf and had an Assistance Dog. She brought it into clinic every day and it would lay beneath her desk whilst she treated patients. She said how it had transformed her life.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
When I worked in the Diabetes Centre we had a Chiropodist who was profoundly deaf and had an Assistance Dog. She brought it into clinic every day and it would lay beneath her desk whilst she treated patients. She said how it had transformed her life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you recall what breed ?
All I REALLY need is a dog that will let me know when someone is knocking at the door.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
All I REALLY need is a dog that will let me know when someone is knocking at the door.
I think it was a cross-breed (mongrel). It was a medium sized dog with a curly coat about the size of a spaniel, or slightly bigger. I believe that cross-breeds are often ideally suited for the job. They are good at the very thing you need, can let you know when someone is at the door, when an alarm goes off, or the telephone rings etc. It could change your life. I know quite a lot of blind people and just how their guide dogs transform their lives.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

Do you mean you would like a properly trained Assistance Dog, because if so, they would choose the dog which they felt most suited your needs.

If you don't want a trained A/D and you only want something that barks at the doorbell, most dogs would do that in time, once they are settled and used to their surroundings.

Is there a reason you say one that doesn't need much exercise? Would you find taking him/her out difficult or a chore? Certainly something to bear in mind.

My mother could not hear the door or phone, and after her dog died I got her a little box-like gadget that amplifies the boor bell and also flashed a bright light she could see easily.

Something like this may suit you better:

https://www.actiononhearingloss.org....ing-doorchime/
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 11:49 AM

My youngest Daughter is profoundly deaf and has one of those flashing light gadgets,but She didn't need it before Her Lab' died as He alerted Her to every noise,She sadly had to have the gadget reconnected again after 14 yrs of doing without.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Others may not agree but I have always trained my dogs to bark when someone comes to the door. Its let's me know I have a caller and let's anyone coming to your door that a dog lives there.
The dog settled down once it had seen I was ok with the caller.
I've never been broken into when owning a dog that barks at callers.
Ok, I did have to put a letter catcher on the inside of the door to avoid shredded mail.
bakerman
Mexico

03-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Thank you all. The reason I mentioned exercise is because I once had a large Malamute and he needed huge amounts of exercise which I was able to provide 40 years ago, but no longer.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 06:31 PM

Ive never really trained my dogs to bark or guard but they all have without fail...

I once had a man with clipboard come to the door..May I ask you something he said..
I said yes and he tried to walk into my house. Oscar who had been sitting silently at my feet put himself between me and the man and growled.

The man backed off..Ill come back when the dog isnt here he said..

I told him the dog is here 23/7.. Never saw him again.

I find most dogs will alert to strangers or doorbells and many dogs do an awful lot for us that we dont even realise but its not through special training its just because they are loved and part of the family.

Nobody should have a dog simply as a tool, they must be loved and wanted as an individual as well.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top