Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 08:17 PM

Re: Customs Union - just what is the problem?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

An excellent analysis.

Where we differ is this.

Cameron should not have asked, he should have just done it and told them to naff off.

Even tiny countries like Poland and Hungary do that and nothing happens to them.

The Austrians are even worse, they just totally ignore the EU.
Totally agree mate,

And it always comes back to spineless leaders.
As you say, many others often ignore the EU, why do we always tow the line 100%? - Inept leadership, that's why.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Am I the only one to realise that we toe the line with the EU because it suits us to do so? For example easier to let everyone in than to have a decent immigration control system. Convenient to let lots of workers in because we wanted growth and cheap goods. These were carefully engineered strategies. We refused to join the Euro because that didn't suit us. The politicians blame the EU when policies are unpopular, but they wouldn't bother to "roll over" if it didn't suit their political plans.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 09:09 PM

I can't believe that some are still talking of brexit as some solution to our own political ills. "We voted brexit because we didn't like the way Britain was run by our own politicians. We wanted to show our politicians who wears the underpants" just makes no sense to me at all. Wake up - our politicians are what we will be stuck with.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I can't believe that some are still talking of brexit as some solution to our own political ills. "We voted brexit because we didn't like the way Britain was run by our own politicians. We wanted to show our politicians who wears the underpants" just makes no sense to me at all. Wake up - our politicians are what we will be stuck with.
Who is this "we"?

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I voted to leave the EU because I don't like the way this country is being run by non-elected politicians in Brussels.

Some people are clearly quite happy for our country to be run by foreigners although, to be honest, I cannot see why they should think that a good thing.

I wonder whether those people might be equally happy if Britain were to be run by politicians in, say, Russia, China, Iran, Pakistan, India, or any other country. I'd hazard a guess that their answer would be "No".

So why are they happy for us to be governed by a collection of 28 European commissioners, only one of which is a Brit?

To answer your final statement, after we are once again an independent country, our own government, whether they are good or crap, is something we can easily rectify at the next general election or, possibly, even sooner if a vote of no confidence is made.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-05-2018, 10:12 PM

I was responding to :

"All the while the ordinary electorate were being ignored, preached at, were frustrated and angry ......and losing out!

Our politicians thought THEY knew best and the ordinary electorate, frustrated and angry as they were should just put up and shut up.

Then we had a referendum......."

I really don't understand how brexit will be the magic solution to all our political ills. Whatever you think of Eurocrats, British politicians are no different and no more likely to make all voters happy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-05-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

To answer your final statement, after we are once again an independent country, our own government, whether they are good or crap, is something we can easily rectify at the next general election or, possibly, even sooner if a vote of no confidence is made.
There is no "easy" in politics. Just sl"easy". But fact is that we were being ruled by Westminster all along. The big confidence trick is that people think the EU was to blame.

I've seen posts on here saying that after brexit our politicians will have nothing to hide behind. I can't believe nobody else sees how ridiculous that sounds. Why does anyone think we will be able to hold our gov't to account after brexit any more than we do now?

Reasons for voting brexit seem to be all over the place. Remain just voted for maintaining what we know. Devil we know vs the hell we don't.

Nobody seems to have a clue about a plan two years after the vote. If that doesn't worry you then you must be too loaded to care about the economy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was responding to :

"All the while the ordinary electorate were being ignored, preached at, were frustrated and angry ......and losing out!

Our politicians thought THEY knew best and the ordinary electorate, frustrated and angry as they were should just put up and shut up.

Then we had a referendum......."

I really don't understand how brexit will be the magic solution to all our political ills. Whatever you think of Eurocrats, British politicians are no different and no more likely to make all voters happy.
It won't.

One thing that will benefit us is our right to sack the party in government if we don't like what they are doing.

We have no such abilities when it comes to the European Commission (the body that passes EU laws).

However, you are right. Leaving the EU will not be the solution to all of our political problems.

For one thing - my favourite topic at the moment - we really need to get rid of the corrupt House of Lords. Corrupt, because they are not only non-elected, but more importantly many (most?) of them have been put in place by previous PMs, especially Tony B Liar.

Another problem that will remain is the fact that we have no real opposition. Compo and the Clowns are hardly that - just another Monster Raving Loony Party.

Yet another problem is that I have little respect for so many of our senior politicians in any party. I'm thinking really of the Cabinet and the Shadow Cabinet. Surely, the days of competent politicians cannot be over for ever?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-05-2018, 10:54 PM

It won't.

One thing that will benefit us is our right to sack the party in government if we don't like what they are doing.

We have no such abilities when it comes to the European Commission (the body that passes EU laws).

However, you are right. Leaving the EU will not be the solution to all of our political problems.

For one thing - my favourite topic at the moment - we really need to get rid of the corrupt House of Lords. Corrupt, because they are not only non-elected, but more importantly many (most?) of them have been put in place by previous PMs, especially Tony B Liar.

Another problem that will remain is the fact that we have no real opposition. Compo and the Clowns are hardly that - just another Monster Raving Loony Party.

Yet another problem is that I have little respect for so many of our senior politicians in any party. I'm thinking really of the Cabinet and the Shadow Cabinet. Surely, the days of competent politicians cannot be over for ever?
We already have that right but the next lot are never any different. Am I the only one who has noticed?

It's funny you knock the house of Lords. Because although it makes no sense that it's the case, they have always voted for the most sensible decisions. I am not talking about brexit, but long before. The government would have had free reign with various crackpot changes without them. I am not talking tories but labour too.

So if you plan to get rid of the house of lords you need to replace it with another independent body that puts a check on the rubbish that over-enthused politicians spew out when cornered.

Although I do think the house of lords, filled to the brim as it is with high achievers, is not a bad organisation to debate poor government policy and send it back saying they need to do their homework. "must try harder". These are not stupid people you are rubbishing.

I am not sure how you think we will be able to get rid of a rubbish government just like that. We are a polarised society with a pretty scary opposition that nobody sane wants to vote in. This is not the golden era for democracy in the UK as far as I see it. The EU at least gave some balance.

I don't agree with the mad ideas for an EU army and greater integration (and in particular NOT the euro), but I cannot understand why you don't want a customs union etc. Strong connections without the obligations towards closer union seem the most satisfying outcome. There's no logic as to why it would be free, but your hatred of the French is no reason to turn our backs on our biggest economic allies.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-05-2018, 11:02 PM

of our senior politicians in any party. I'm thinking really of the Cabinet and the Shadow Cabinet. Surely, the days of competent politicians cannot be over for ever?

Sorry, I just saw this and it's significant, but I do despair of the current lot. It does feel that in the past we had a different calibre running for office.

Something seems amiss these days but I no longer feel confident that anyone knows what they are doing. I don't think this is an age thing. I think there is a real political vacuum at the worst possible time.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2018, 05:26 AM

Hi

One of the often raised issues is that if we have a Customs Union we will have to adopt EU Standards.

This a Red Herring.

When we export to the EU we have to make sure sure our goods meet EU Standards, when we export to the USA and other Countries we have to make sure our goods meet their standards, which are often different.

A good example of this is the Range Rover Plant in Speke, you can see the different specifications on the cars stored outside ready for export.

This will not change at all if we remain in a Customs Union.

Much of "our" manufacturing companies are foreign owned and they are based here because of our being part of the EU and free access to it.

They choose the UK because of our much more liberal employment laws compared to say, France and Germany.

They also rely on LEAN, the just in time manufacturing process, which relies on components flowing unhindered across the Channel.

If we do not maintain this advantage they will take a decision based purely on Profit and if they cannot maintain their profits, they will leave to bases in the EU.

This does not apply solely to the big companies, it also applies to the myriad of smaller businesses who export to the EU.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top