Join for free
Page 44 of 190 « First < 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 144 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

One thing to learn, as I see it is, folks always need an answer, sometimes there isn't one, and all you can do is wait, and see.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 09:22 AM

Just performed my Sunday morning ritual; woke up and got straight on the job......managed to keep it going for over one hour, ended up sweating and exhausted............There's nothing like an eight mile run.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 11:27 AM

THURSDAY...AGAIN!

Get ready for a splurge of activity on the forum from the Fox, I’ve just cut my finger nails and it’s amazing how fast you can write on a Netbook keyboard when long nails don’t get in the way. I don’t know how you women get on with long brightly painted nail extensions, I quite like the idea of the painted nails – I love a spot of colour – but I would find the length quite prohibiting, I often wonder how you women manage to do the ironing and washing with long nails, and I bet scrubbing the step of a morning must be awkward.

Thursday Again, so that meant an early morning run and in view of all the activity that’s been going on concerning the Hall decorating it would have been a good idea to keep it to six miles, but Thursdays have been good for me just lately and even though it started raining about half way round I still took the long route and made it an eight. Fortunately it was only light rain, and to be honest, perfect weather for Marathons. (Not that I’ll be running one any time soon) I jogged along without effort and my mind was wandering from one thing to the other; Always a good sign that there are no physical problems, a little niggle from an irritated bunion, or a twinge of discomfort from an Achilles Tendon and your mind keeps coming back to it and doesn’t let go.

Mrs Fox has just nipped out to the shops, so before I remove the paint tin lid and fill up the roller tray there is just time for this blog. I can’t put a sentence together when she’s in the house it’s so distracting, a bit like writing a comment for a topic and words are magically spilling out of your brain, rolling down your arm and into your freshly manicured fingers and suddenly that word doesn’t look right, bugger! Out comes the Oxford and the flow is lost.

Interesting to note that after last week’s blog I had several inquiries as to the availability of my paintbrush. Marvellous, nobody wants a sex object, just a painter. Well due to the lack of demand – Mrs Fox thinks my main purpose in life is to decorate the house and unscrew tight fitting lids on jars – I think I will remove it from my CV.......Running’s better anyway, and it lasts longer!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-04-2016, 09:38 AM

It's been 27 years since I ran the London Marathon and I can remember it like it was yesterday. I bumped into a friend at twenty miles who I met on holiday in Majorca several years ago, what a surprise to see him running next to me, we had a nag then I gradually eased away, he was feeling the heat and beginning to struggle. The finish was on Westminster Bridge in those days and as I crossed the line, stopped the watch, and began to walk it was like being flung off a roundabout. My only thought was 'What the hell just happened here!'

I had been coaxed into running marathons by a road running friend, I had been a fell runner and Len (the road runner) suggested that I run a marathon to see what time I could run. So in 1986 I ran my first road marathon in 3 hours and 20 minutes, a time that I always thought I could better. In the ten years from 1986 to 1996 I ended up running thirty six full marathons with a best time of 3 hours. London was number ten in 1989.

I still continue to run, but Half Marathons are all I can manage today and have racked up 65 over the years, but following two heart attacks those days might be over - never say never though.
So I managed an early morning eight yesterday and after a shower shuffled into my sofa with a bacon buttie to watch this years London Marathon. It was nice to see a good turnout by the British runners (both mens and womens) it's about time somebody won it whose name I can pronounce. Well done Callum Hawkins, and although he didn't win, he might in the future. One to watch.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-04-2016, 10:51 AM

A visit to the cinema today began with a very early six mile run. A freezing cold wind embraced my legs and face, and I'm still wearing a windproof top and gloves, something that has usually been discarded by late April. I seemed to have got bogged down with a very sedate pace as of late so I decided to include a couple of faster intervals here and there. It seems ages since I was up on my toes with the wind ruffling my hair, and It felt so good.

'The Eye in the Sky' was the film we went to see, it was the last film that the late Alan Rickman appeared in, and together with Helen Mirren turned out to be an interesting and thought provoking movie. I won't spoil it for anyone contemplating going to see it but suffice to say the technology is mind boggling, and is probably used by the special services even as we speak. I came away thinking that 'What kind of world have we created that we should have the need for all this stuff' Really, we are as uncivillised as the cave men of old, just better dressed!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-05-2016, 12:54 PM

Out on the road for 6:30 this morning being chased by a cold breeze. No rain though just a watery sun fading in and out behind the grey canvas of low cloud.
The village was still asleep as I crept silently past the curtained windows of old peoples bungalows - It's got a bit pricey to live round here these days and this village is full of more mature residents rather than young families, It's only the older retired folks who can afford to buy them.

I make my way past the church and into the country, Mum and Dad are together in the graveyard and I always think about them as I run past. There is plenty of time to think when you run solo, and sometimes I get so absorbed that I can't remember running down a stretch of road, although I must have, else how did I get here?
The sounds of nature are all around me and trees and hedges are beginning to look summery with their vivid green foliage and the occasional blossom.

Having run the last three miles at a steady pace I am feeling comfortable and as I reach the canal bridge the decision to take the tow path and add a couple of extra miles is easy. My feet struggle to find a purchase on the uneven grass covered canal bank and full concentration is required to stay upright, I disturb a Heron fishing for his breakfast, I don't know which of us was frightened the most. He looks like some prehistoric monster with his long neck folded into his plumage as he glides just far enough away for me not to be a threat.

I leave the canal bank and return to the road, it feels good to be on firm ground again and my pace quickens. The next three miles round the meandering country roads gives me time to again drift away to bygone days when I would have been running each mile three minutes faster than today. So what, I will run as long as I'm able whatever the pace.
The first of May, and it had to be something special, and it was, my first ten mile run this year.......Ready for my breakfast!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 01:46 PM

Out on the road for 6:30 this morning being chased by a cold breeze.
Take care on the roads in the early morning Bob, there are so many mad drivers about these days.

The village was still asleep as I crept silently past the curtained windows
I know the feeling, when I take Chloe for her early walk the rest of the world seems to be still asleep but I don't mind that...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 01:50 PM

More power to you elbow Bob, i stepped out this morning into late Autumn. So it was surprising to see a Swift, my first of the year they usually stay ahead of stormy weather.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-05-2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Take care on the roads in the early morning Bob, there are so many mad drivers about these days.
Thanks Meg, not many drivers about on country roads at that time in the morning I think I only saw two vehicles and they were some kennel maids turning up for work at the local kennels and grooming parlour that I pass early on in my run. I never listen to music while out on a run and am always aware of what's going on around me. Where possible I always keep an escape route available - a nice soft grassy verge.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I know the feeling, when I take Chloe for her early walk the rest of the world seems to be still asleep but I don't mind that...
Best time of the day Meg, and this last couple of weeks especially so; Very nice early morning sunshine with rain, wind, snow and sleet coming later as I watch it out of the window....

Originally Posted by Nom ->
More power to you elbow Bob, i stepped out this morning into late Autumn. So it was surprising to see a Swift, my first of the year they usually stay ahead of stormy weather.
Thanks Nom, I was walking down by the canal yesterday and noticed small Swift like birds skimming the water, would they have been Swifts or something else? Certainly brilliant acrobats.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Meg, not many drivers about on country roads at that time in the morning I think I only saw two vehicles and they were some kennel maids turning up for work at the local kennels and grooming parlour that I pass early on in my run. I never listen to music while out on a run and am always aware of what's going on around me. Where possible I always keep an escape route available - a nice soft grassy verge.

Best time of the day Meg, and this last couple of weeks especially so; Very nice early morning sunshine with rain, wind, snow and sleet coming later as I watch it out of the window....

Thanks Nom, I was walking down by the canal yesterday and noticed small Swift like birds skimming the water, would they have been Swifts or something else? Certainly brilliant acrobats.
Could well be but Swallows, Sand and Houes Martins also do the same. Swifts are the large ones with scythe like wings.

Page 44 of 190 « First < 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 144 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top