Join for free
Page 48 of 190 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 08:24 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

My alarm was set at six this morning but at 5:15am I woke and decided that if I went back to sleep it would be half seven before I woke again. It was my last run of the holiday so I did the necessaries and tumbled out onto the road at 5:45am. A heavy sea fret obscured the view and it was only just light as I made my way along deserted country roads to the outskirts of St Peter Port. George Road is a very steep road of about a mile long heading down to the harbour, It's just as hard running down as it is running up. I resisted the urge to overspeed and kept to a steady pace and I was soon on the quayside at the bottom of the hill. A large ferry was in port unloading supplies and there were several small council vehicles cleaning the streets and watering the flower baskets, I turned the corner and prepared to do battle once more with the long climb up Grange road. It climbs to the top of the hill that I had just run down but not quite as steep as George Road, It is twice as long though. I had included Grange Road in all of my previous runs and it had not beat me yet so I dug in and was determined it would not beat me today especially since it would be my last run here for a while. My arms felt sticky and beads of sweat formed on my forehead as I laboured up this monster of a hill hoping to see the crest around every corner. Legs turned to rubber and wishing good morning to the odd worker coming in the opposite direction was turning into a challenge as every gulp of air was required to power my muscles ever higher. Just when I thought I could not endure anymore pain the end came into view and I quickened my pace realising that the hill had thrown everything at me this morning and I had survived once more. The last three miles were undulating but enjoyable and as I jogged into the hotel car park I could start the last day of my holiday content and happy with my effort this morning.....

A last walk down George road to say goodbye to St Peter Port.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2016, 10:15 PM

Had a similar feeling in Barmouth, turn of the century, wondered if I would enjoy the vista again, you can take too much notice of an example.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 10:20 AM

After all the phonecalls to the airline and car park at East Mids Airport to amend our holiday from ten days to fourteen I was just waiting for something to go wrong on our journey home yesterday, but it never did. The only only hold up's were due to the volume of traffic on the M1. At around four thirty we dumped the luggage, collected some friends and went in search of food.....

No enthusiastic chatter in the dining room, no table full of assorted serials, fruit juices or croissants, no eggs, bacon, sausage or tomatoes, with hot toast cooling in the rack. Just me and Mrs Fox and the sound of the washing machine gently cleaning away the memory of a beautiful holiday while I spoon up a bowl of porridge.

Now, where are my washing up gloves?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-08-2016, 11:00 AM

I thought I'd be running better after all the hill work I've been doing in Guernsey, every run included a steep climb and even the flat bits were hilly! But my legs felt heavy and tired as I started out on my Sunday Eight miler. It did get a little easier after a couple of miles and I even managed to shake up the pace with some fast half mile sprints, but come the last mile I was hanging on and struggled to keep going.

It was nice to have a shower; the room which we moved to for the last four days of our holiday only had a bath and it took some getting used to after many years of showering. Washing lines are full of clothes blowing in the breeze and dinner is prepared on the hob, the family will be along shortly to hear about our adventures and look at the photos. It just leaves me time to walk the two miles to the Tesco and back which will hopefully prevent stiffness from accumulating in the muscles.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Good morning OGF

Love reading your blog .... but running up hills ??? Phew !!! .

I enjoy walking ... only up to 7 miles though ... I prefer not to walk up hills nowadays but of course it's the only way to get a better view ... so I have to do it

I've just had a great weekend in Exmouth .... the Jurassic coast .... so a few uphill walks involved
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Good morning OGF

Love reading your blog .... but running up hills ??? Phew !!! .

I enjoy walking ... only up to 7 miles though ... I prefer not to walk up hills nowadays but of course it's the only way to get a better view ... so I have to do it

I've just had a great weekend in Exmouth .... the Jurassic coast .... so a few uphill walks involved
Thanks for looking in Myrtle and taking the time to comment I really appreciate it.
Seven miles is a good distance to walk and although I sometimes push myself on to go further, seven miles is a comfortable distance and as we used to say down at the running club "Don't leave the best of you out on the road"

Ah yes the Jurassic Coast, a beautiful part of England Myrtle, we were down in Weymouth a couple of years ago and walked some of the coast path including a walk around Portland. We didn't get as far as Exmouth, Lyme Regis was as far as we got but I would love to walk the entire path right around the English coastline. Maybe one day....
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 11:36 AM

I love the coastal paths .... we are so lucky in this country

As I usually only go on coach trips Friday to Monday time is of the essence so I don't have time to do much "proper" walking but I do try to do at least 2 miles of the coastal path wherever I am . Having said that I usually walk about 7 miles just sightseeing

I visited Weymouth a few months ago when I went to Bournemouth and also Portland Bill ... WOW!!! Chesil Beach
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for looking in Myrtle and taking the time to comment I really appreciate it.
Seven miles is a good distance to walk and although I sometimes push myself on to go further, seven miles is a comfortable distance and as we used to say down at the running club "Don't leave the best of you out on the road"

Ah yes the Jurassic Coast, a beautiful part of England Myrtle, we were down in Weymouth a couple of years ago and walked some of the coast path including a walk around Portland. We didn't get as far as Exmouth, Lyme Regis was as far as we got but I would love to walk the entire path right around the English coastline. Maybe one day....
well you could read Kingdom by the Sea by Paul Theroux who walked/bused and trained around the entire coasts of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales in the mid 1980, and describes the peculiarities of the British coastline peoples!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Well I should have been packing today for the forthcoming cruise on Monday but I've spent the day swanning around a garden centre helping a neighbour to choose some plants for her newly created Garden....Lunch was excellent though.

So it looks like it's going to be tomorrow instead, I hope I haven't left too much to do in one day.....Car is going to need cleaning and checking over for the long drive down to Southampton, and let's not forget the Sunday run first thing in the morning. I think I'll keep it to an eight miler.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-09-2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well you could read Kingdom by the Sea by Paul Theroux who walked/bused and trained around the entire coasts of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales in the mid 1980, and describes the peculiarities of the British coastline peoples!
It'll make good holiday reading will that Gumbud.

Page 48 of 190 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top