Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 09:27 PM

Re: Dementia/Alzheimer's

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I was thinking of petite mal...is that the same as Absence seizures Pats?
Yes Pesta... Absence seizures, or petit mal seizures, are brief, usually less than 15 seconds, and have symptoms that may be barely noticeable.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 11:44 AM

Yes that's what I was thinking of - petit mal.
Cosmos
UK
Cosmos is female  Cosmos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 07:40 PM

Hi floydy,
I can understand, you worrying about the genetic symptoms of dementia......I think we all do who has a relative with alzhiemers.......My father suffers with Vascular Dementia, hes 93 , and so healthy and fit, but alas his brain has gone. Its been gone since he was 70 .......mum whose 91 looks after him......theres 5 of us in the family, but my brother and I are so like him, which worries us both....... Hope all goes ok with you and your family........
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 07:44 PM

This is a very difficult topic to comment on. Part of my research now includes dementia. Original research was just neurological research, for people with brain damage. I also volunteer in a care home for people with dementia, so I have first hand experience, in watching and advising how to improve their lives. I have no intention of bombarding you with scientific research. What I can say is that learning a new skill is one way of preventing the onset of early dementia.
Sweetie x
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmos ->
Hi floydy,
I can understand, you worrying about the genetic symptoms of dementia......I think we all do who has a relative with alzhiemers.......My father suffers with Vascular Dementia, hes 93 , and so healthy and fit, but alas his brain has gone. Its been gone since he was 70 .......mum whose 91 looks after him......theres 5 of us in the family, but my brother and I are so like him, which worries us both....... Hope all goes ok with you and your family........
Same here, Cosmos, with my wishes to you as well. It's a crippling disease. Some days are better than others for my mum, but there's no actual improvement in the long run.
Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
This is a very difficult topic to comment on. Part of my research now includes dementia. Original research was just neurological research, for people with brain damage. I also volunteer in a care home for people with dementia, so I have first hand experience, in watching and advising how to improve their lives. I have no intention of bombarding you with scientific research. What I can say is that learning a new skill is one way of preventing the onset of early dementia.
Sweetie x
Good work you do there, Sweetie pie. That's the key isn't it...stopping this thing before it takes hold. Hopefully one day they will find some kind of "cure", for some types at least.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 05:36 PM

I found this thread at the bottom of my subscribed list, and thought it was time for an update. I haven't been posting with my usual 'jovial, sarcastic flair' for a while because my my mum's deteriorating health has been on my mind greatly since before Christmas when she was taken into hospital.

Well she is still in hospital, asleep all the the time, weighs about 45 kilos, looks terrible and has stopped eating and drinking for the past two days. I'm thinking she has days to live and it is highly unlikely that she will now leave hospital to go back to the care home. They are doing all they can, but six years almost to the day since my dad passed away under the same circumstances, I believe I'll be saying goodbye to my mother for the last time tomorrow.
Sorry, just had to offload this from my chest. And my mind.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Really sorry to read this Floydy...I hope your mum is comfortable and cared for as long as she needs to be ...its very hard when the time comes to say "goodbye" take care!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2017, 06:53 PM

I am so very sorry to hear about your mum Floydy. It's so very hard losing those we love so much. I hope your mum is peaceful and comfortable.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 12:19 AM

So sorry to hear about your Mum, Floydy. I hope your Mum is peaceful and free of pain .... thinking of you, take care.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

11-01-2017, 05:06 PM

Thanks all, very kind
Today I made the decision to make it the final time I saw my mother. I said goodbye, thanked her for all the good times and said I loved her. At least I can remember her being in a peaceful state.
So difficult.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top