Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Re: BBC Wastes Licence Money

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Part 4 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they're being shown on television without a valid TV Licence. The Act empowers the BBC to make and amend the terms and conditions of a licence. It allows the government to make regulations to exempt or reduce the licence fee for certain persons in certain circumstances. It also makes it an offence for anyone to have any television receiver in their possession or under their control who intends to install or use it in contravention of the main offence (above), or knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use a television receiver in contravention of the main offence.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) requires television dealers to notify TV Licensing of all their sales and rentals of television sets. This includes analogue and digital TV sets, DVD and video recorders, digital boxes and computers (including laptops) with TV cards.

I think they have pretty much got it tied up - so now you know.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/l...nd-policy-AB9/
Well I can only say what steps I have taken to avoid paying the license fee.

I have removed all the TV boxes from my sitting room. Also tied up the aerial with plastic ties so there is no way for it to reach or be used by the TV. The TV is acting as my monitor on the computer so it isn't really a TV anymore. I also never watch anything that is 'live' on the computer. As far as I'm concerned I am well and truly covered. Obviously I won't know until I get a visit but I have a member of my family that also doesn't pay so I have a little insight into it all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 06:05 PM

I knew a guy who got fined for not having a colour tv licence even though his set was black & white, also someone who only watched videos. They said it was because the potential was there for them to receive a tv signal. May have changed the ruling now that it's all digital. However Auntie will probably say that BBC online programs are available to you, even if you don't watch. Sneaky devils.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 06:50 PM

The point is, you have to have a licence to own a television set.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Well, maybe it's time that ruling changed; the BBC has no right to charge you for things you don't watch.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 05:54 AM

That was how it was when I worked on the detector vans, we didn't care if the TV was in a cupboard if it was capable of receiving a signal a licence was needed.

You would be amazed at the steps people went to to hide their TV if we knocked on their door. Ornaments in a square of dust was a common sight. If we used the aerials we could tell which corner of which room they had the TV and what channel they were watching.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top