Join for free
Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 10:51 AM

Re: General Election 2017: The Result

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
And I disagree with that Azz. The young have little experience of politics, are frequently looking to get something for nothing and will frequently fall the way that social media pushes them!

I believe that Corbyn did better research on how to win votes, so he was already on a winner, because many young people were searching to take revenge over the Brexit referendum.

For those who get their university degrees and work hard to earn a good salary, they will soon learn that a Tory vote does more for them. For those, who don't do well with their free university education, they will stick with Labour for the better benefits system.

When will they learn that you can't get everything for nothing, because the government will not always be able to provide it until the national debt is considerably reduced!
Well said, Twinky.

Responsibility is another important matter.

I believe that most young people have little understanding of responsibility. Responsibility develops after you have got a job and come to realise that if you don't take responsibility for your work and your life you won't get paid.

Then, later, when you have children, responsibility becomes even more important.

I, of course, don't have any children, which is probably why I'm an irresponsible git.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Strange that nobody has, yet, mentioned Russian interference with the election!

Was said in the US, was also said in France!

I guess the Ruskies would have nothing to gain by supporting Corbyn?

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The election has left us with a few problems.

Trump is saying we must get a move on , time is ticking away.

Corbyn and Co are adamant no Hard Brexit, so threat of just walking away is no longer an option.

No hard Brexit means customs union or single market, still ruled by ECJ and free movement, so Immigration will not be down at all from the EU.

t also means we will have to pay the Brexit Bill they are asking for.

The very worst of all scenarios.

The DUP are insisting on no Border in Ireland as well.

Interesting times.

Nothing we can do about it, the die is cast.

Such is life.
I agree.

The people have voted.

We had a chance to become an independent nation again, but they've thrown that away.

I now have every confidence that that will not happen. We shall either pay handsomely for continuing to be controlled by the EU under the guise of being a non-member, or we shall remain completely under the rule of the EU mandarins.

The Fourth Reich is coming, and our voting public have decided that we will be part of it.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 11:02 AM

I must live in a different world than most of my contemporaries on here.

Apparently the yoof of today are looking for freebies, but then that the winter fuel, triple lock and dementia tax, cost Theresa the election ?

Doesn't anyone see the irony in that ?

The idea that education is an investment in a countries future doesn't get a look in here.
This sort of 'investment' raises the wealth of the nation as well as individuals.

The reason we are where we are is all down to the egos of the Tory leadership.
Cameron asked the country to back him by throwing a pointless Brexit referendum.......which he lost.
Then May threw a pointless election to increase her authority to negotiate, now she has lost the confidence of her party and the EU negotiators.

Poor judgment from two Tory PM's........amongst many other poor judgments.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 11:12 AM

I cannot rule out the possibility of "Remainer's Revenge" syndrome! (RRS)

After all, this is their first real chance of sticking it to the Government!

Can't see Students being a problem as the Student Loans are often picked up by the parents, and there have been students around for may previous elections.

The higher than usual turnout is interesting. May got more than Cameron did.

When the Dementia Tax was suggested, even I thought about throwing my vote the other way...I bet many others felt the same!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-06-2017, 11:28 AM

I agree with what you say Summer, and I know that young people are more interested in what they can get now, rather than what it will produce later... hell weren't we all the same at their age?
The problem is that, if Labour promise money to give the young what they want, of course they will expect it, but which other citizens will suffer for all these vote grabbing ideas?
If they tax big businesses too much they will move elsewhere... thereby taking a lot of jobs from the British people, who will then need to claim benefits!
The Labour idea of equality will just make everybody poorer, because, if you don't have the wealthy bringing money into this country, where will the money come from to support the poor?
They'll borrow it, of course, just as they always have done!

Don't worry about paying it back. That's for the next Conservative government to worry about.

It's a great system, and it works.

Under a Labour government we can have everything in plenty.

Under a Conservative government all we get is cuts and parsimony.

So let's all vote for Labour for the next hundred years and really enjoy life for a change!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
I must live in a different world than most of my contemporaries on here.

Apparently the yoof of today are looking for freebies, but then that the winter fuel, triple lock and dementia tax, cost Theresa the election ?

Doesn't anyone see the irony in that ?

The idea that education is an investment in a countries future doesn't get a look in here.
This sort of 'investment' raises the wealth of the nation as well as individuals.

The reason we are where we are is all down to the egos of the Tory leadership.
Cameron asked the country to back him by throwing a pointless Brexit referendum.......which he lost.
Then May threw a pointless election to increase her authority to negotiate, now she has lost the confidence of her party and the EU negotiators.

Poor judgment from two Tory PM's........amongst many other poor judgments.
Well you are certainly in a different world to me! Education does not mean an investment in the country... especially when Tony Blair said all children could go to University... and then reduced the standard of their qualifications.
In our time the most intelligent went to Uni or college, others were trained to do a job and earned good livings. You don't need a piece of paper to tell you that you are clever, you prove you are by how well you do your job. I have to ask, why do you think that many, with University degrees, are flipping Burgers or working in Bars? The money invested in their education wasn't such a good investment was it? If that money had been invested in companies then most of them would have been working for those companies and proving their worth
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
well you are certainly in a different world to me! Education does not mean an investment in the country... Especially when tony blair said all children could go to university... And then reduced the standard of their qualifications.
In our time the most intelligent went to uni or college, others were trained to do a job and earned good livings. You don't need a piece of paper to tell you that you are clever, you prove you are by how well you do your job. I have to ask, why do you think that many, with university degrees, are flipping burgers or working in bars? The money invested in their education wasn't such a good investment was it? If that money had been invested in companies then most of them would have been working for those companies and proving their worth
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Well you are certainly in a different world to me! Education does not mean an investment in the country... especially when Tony Blair said all children could go to University... and then reduced the standard of their qualifications.
In our time the most intelligent went to Uni or college, others were trained to do a job and earned good livings. You don't need a piece of paper to tell you that you are clever, you prove you are by how well you do your job. I have to ask, why do you think that many, with University degrees, are flipping Burgers or working in Bars? The money invested in their education wasn't such a good investment was it? If that money had been invested in companies then most of them would have been working for those companies and proving their worth
to add to Doc's post
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 12:04 PM

You don't need a piece of paper to tell you that you are clever, you prove you are by how well you do your job. I have to ask, why do you think that many, with University degrees, are flipping Burgers or working in Bars? The money invested in their education wasn't such a good investment was it?
This is gold Twink. Very much agree.

There's a larger problem though. "Education" as such isn't really that. It's just a purposeful indoctrination of how "the system" works and the early brainwashing of youth so that they accept that system.

Education doesn't teach them the actual life skills they need. How to determine good foods from bad foods, good drink from bad drink, how the corrupt financial systems operate, how online gaming an gambling is rigged and will lost them £000s, how to survive off-grid, how to take responsibility for their own health, the power of plants, herbs, seeds etc etc.

Corbyn would have diluted the meaning of any qualification to oblivion. The older people already know that basic qualifications ('A' levels etc) are meaningless as the league table system resulted in exams being stupidly easy.

Flooding universities with anyone and everyone (via no tuition fees) would have done the same thing.

Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top