Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Blocked drain - suggestions?

Hi everyone,

Today our drain became blocked for the 5th time in as many months. We share it with a restaurant (we live above) and the drain has started to block more frequently. It rained so heavily today and the water just didn't drain and we now have a greasy pond forming. Is there anything I should be doing? Can I get get rid of any blockages myself (without getting my hands too dirty)?

A neighbour has suggested 'rods' or a pressure washer, but I'm not sure whether either will be good...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Re: Blocked drain - suggestions?

It sounds to me as if the onus is on the proprietor of the restaurant because if they're tipping fats away it will block up the drain.

If he's a kindly sort of soul, perhaps you could have a chat to him about it and maybe he'll sort it. If not, maybe you could agree to go halves and get out Dyna-rod.
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Hi Mollie,

Thanks for your reply. We've spoken to the restaurant chaps before and they deny it's them causing the problem. I suspect going halves is what we'll need to do.

We have an old pressure washer - are they any good for this sort of thing?

Thanks!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 08:45 PM

I imagine so lass, but see what the blokes on here think first. I'd hate to give bad advice about something I've never done myself.

I don't see how the restaurant chaps can just simply deny it isn't them. By doing that they're saying it's you, which I doubt very much, but it is possible that you're both contributing to the problem, so halves would be fairest if they're willing to cough up.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by beanybit ->
Hi everyone,

Today our drain became blocked for the 5th time in as many months. We share it with a restaurant (we live above) and the drain has started to block more frequently. It rained so heavily today and the water just didn't drain and we now have a greasy pond forming. Is there anything I should be doing? Can I get get rid of any blockages myself (without getting my hands too dirty)?

A neighbour has suggested 'rods' or a pressure washer, but I'm not sure whether either will be good...
think the clue is in "greasy pond".If it were you, it would either be sanitary towels or disposable nappies. It's an offence round here to dispose of fat or oil down the drain and he'd be prosecuted. so talk to him again and stand firm, if you've not used the aforementioned.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2012, 11:11 PM

We had a blocked drain a few days ago and our plumber came out and used a Kercher pressure washer with an attachment on the end. It unblocked it anyway. You can buy that Kercher from any DIY store. I'm not saying it's an answer to your problem but it unblocked our drain.

Good luck anyway.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 12:08 AM

If it's been blocked 5 times in 5 months, and is full of grease, it must be the resturaunt pouring fat down, I would call in the enviromental health, because it's illegal.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

26-08-2012, 12:59 AM

I must admit Jimmy that that was what crossed my mind immediately and Beany, as others have said, it's illegal to tip fats and oils down the sink into the drains.

Jimmy has given good advice there.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Oh drains the vane of my life and all who live here.Wet toilet wipes andface wipes are the main things on here, but if its a restaurant its them, yes get out evirenmental health, its what we pay for in the rates.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Go to your local citizens advice people, and the sooner the better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top