Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 04:21 PM

Re: Antibiotic resistance and the meat industry

Originally Posted by Meg ->
This overuse of antibiotics has been a problem for many years and is one reason why I rarely eat meat (and never chicken) and stick to organic if I do.
Even organically raised animals need antibiotics on occasion.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Even organically raised animals need antibiotics on occasion.

That's true, but it's being used routinely in many countries just to boost production and growth.

I posted this because this selfish short term gain is leading to long term antibiotic resistance, so many illnesses we thought we had conquered could return. It will be our own stupidity in not banning this routine practice that will lead to our own long term challenges.

In terms of animal welfare I won't even start to give my views on the terrible cruelty.

But rather than buying from farmers direct which many people cannot do I applaud the supermarkets that are making a point of going antibiotic free, free range, organic etc as long as this is closely monitored by food quality bodies as a legitimate claim.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 12:10 PM

Hi

Going Organic is very expensive, simply not worth the money for many smallholders.

We have Slow Food, a favourite of many smallholders who cannot afford the Soil Association Accreditation.

As far as Organic is concerned, we seem to be buying vastly more amounts of it than we either produce or import.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top