Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Onions in a freshly painted room - does it help?

I didn't think the smell was too bad - but can adding a plate full of onions (sliced) to a room that's been freshly painted help get rid of the smell?

It 'seems' to be working here
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Re: Onions in a freshly painted room - does it help?

Sounds as good as anything ..... if you can stand the smell of onions, Azz

Make sure you open your window during the day too...
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

26-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I didn't think the smell was too bad - but can adding a plate full of onions (sliced) to a room that's been freshly painted help get rid of the smell?

It 'seems' to be working here

Onion works very well indeed Azz .

No need to dice and slice though ......... Just cut in half and place in corners of room ........... Leave overnight and well into the next day and then look at the colour and condition of the onion halves ............
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Thanks guys. It ended up smelling of hot dogs - which was quite nice
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 03:30 PM

They used to put half an onion in the corners of the rooms when the decorators did the nursing home I used to visit. They swore it worked but I love the smell of new paint.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Well you learn something everyday - never heard of the onion thing before. Like you Maryl, love the smell of paint.
sheevee
New Member!
West Midlands
sheevee is female 

10-11-2010, 03:25 PM

I used the onion to help with the smell of paint - I put one out before starting the woodwork and it really helps. A lot of modern paint has something added to take the smell out anyway but they charge extra for it. There is also something you can stir in to the paint but can't remember what - will come to me later hopefully.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2010, 09:03 PM

Moving just slightly away from the theme of this thread my mum always used to put 1/2 an onion in the corners of a bedroom where someone was ill with a cold or flu as she said it atrtracted the germs to it rather than another person..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top