Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Re: The art of mice catching!!

The best ratter/mouser I ever saw was a young Border Collie on a farm where I was working. She would stay with you all day and every time we moved a bale she would dash in and kill whatever was lurking underneath it, her speed was amazing, she was absolutely fearless, and was the nemesis of many a vermin, a true champion of her breed...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The best ratter/mouser I ever saw was a young Border Collie on a farm where I was working.
Our two Newfies like to dig for them in the meadow but they've never got any, and they would be too slow to compete with that Border Collie. Both are great breeds.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 10:21 PM

My whippet X collie is a fab ratter!! She has a certain flick crunch style!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2011, 09:19 PM

I moved my bird feeder away from the house last fall and that helped - we didn't see a mouse indoors all winter. Then our resident feline found one and was half-heartedly playing with it last week right under my nose. I cornered it, picked it up by the tail and carried it out to the shed where the bird feeder hangs now. I hope it's happier out there with a ready food source than indoors playing tag with the cat. I hate the idea of poison.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I cornered it, picked it up by the tail and carried it out to the shed where the bird feeder hangs now. I hope it's happier out there with a ready food source than indoors playing tag with the cat. I hate the idea of poison.
I used to use the 'humane' traps but found they never worked, I don't like the idea of poison either, some of the cheap traps they sell are not good, I've had many mice just caught by one leg, not nice to see in the morning since I can't bring myself to clobber them I let them go a long way from the house. Have now found a really good trap, easy to set and the mice have to get right onto the trigger plate so the end result is always instant, no lingering death, and no crawling away to the nest full of poison. They are a bit more expensive but well worth it.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top