Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Re: Cheap Microsoft office?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I got three of these, 2016 Office packages,. a few months ago.

They have all been activated by MS and are working fine.

There could be a risk that dodgy copies are being put into the mix but I would expect the Activation to address this.

I even asked a question on a Microsoft support page, at the time, and was given a very neutral - but not negative reply.

Perhaps the fact that the latest package (365) is basically being handled as an annual leased package,gives the issue a new angle.
That's encouraging .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Okay. I've taken one for the team - bought it last night from Amazon and have spent the last couple of hours installing it after I made a disk image of my C: drive just in case of cock-ups.

The whole process was seamless - just click on one of the the links supplied in the confirmation email (32-bit or 64-bit depending on your machine) and off you go. It does recommend that you uninstall any previous versions of Office first but I didn't bother but did do later after everything had been installed and running properly. I have a 64-bit machine but chose to use the 32-bit version for compatibility with Outlook which I use for emails and calendar.

After backing up my Outlook pst. and archive folders I went ahead and uninstalled my copy of Office 2007. Everything runs without a hitch. When you run Word for the first time (recommended) a pop-up invites you to enter the product-code in the appropriate box and the program is verified and authorised. You then have to shut down word and then re-open it again, this activates all of the remaining parts of the Office Suite. Be sure to select the correct document format for your needs in Word because you can select the .odt as used by Open Office and Libre by default but this would preclude you from using MS Office files properly.

The whole layout of the new Office Suite is nice and clean and much more readable than my previous version

Had a bit of a glitch with Outlook as the contents my Gmail folder (imap) wouldn't show - buggered about with changing profiles but that didn't work so hit on the idea of creating a new account but using the same details of my original account. Success! I can now access my Gmails, all I had to do then was delete the old account and set the new up as the default.

All I have to do now is set up my Access database files to the new version - it was an absolute pig converting from 2003 to 2007 so I'm not looking forward to this.

Think I need a beer.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Okay. I've taken one for the team - bought it last night from Amazon and have spent the last couple of hours installing it after I made a disk image of my C: drive just in case of cock-ups.

The whole process was seamless - just click on one of the the links supplied in the confirmation email (32-bit or 64-bit depending on your machine) and off you go. It does recommend that you uninstall any previous versions of Office first but I didn't bother but did do later after everything had been installed and running properly. I have a 64-bit machine but chose to use the 32-bit version for compatibility with Outlook which I use for emails and calendar.

After backing up my Outlook pst. and archive folders I went ahead and uninstalled my copy of Office 2007. Everything runs without a hitch. When you run Word for the first time (recommended) a pop-up invites you to enter the product-code in the appropriate box and the program is verified and authorised. You then have to shut down word and then re-open it again, this activates all of the remaining parts of the Office Suite. Be sure to select the correct document format for your needs in Word because you can select the .odt as used by Open Office and Libre by default but this would preclude you from using MS Office files properly.

The whole layout of the new Office Suite is nice and clean and much more readable than my previous version

Had a bit of a glitch with Outlook as the contents my Gmail folder (imap) wouldn't show - buggered about with changing profiles but that didn't work so hit on the idea of creating a new account but using the same details of my original account. Success! I can now access my Gmails, all I had to do then was delete the old account and set the new up as the default.

All I have to do now is set up my Access database files to the new version - it was an absolute pig converting from 2003 to 2007 so I'm not looking forward to this.

Think I need a beer.
You deserve one .....

I'll get some backups done then have a go myself .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 05:53 PM

Got Access sorted out now too Not as bad as the last time, in fact, I didn't have to do anything other than run the program for it to recognise all of my data, files and layouts. Well pleased.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Good news re Access .....

I don't use it, but I understand your apprehension re legacy files - some of my Excel files were begun on software that pre-dated MS Office .....
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 06:50 PM

I have installed my £16 Microsoft office professional plus and concur with everything Judd has said the only hitch I had was my own senior moment but after that everything installs smoothly and validated without a problem. So it looks like this software is a real bargain the only very slight reservation being Mart's useful observation that some do stop working after a couple of months. But I reckon so long as I keep a copy of my content on a separate drive it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Brian.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 8451 ->
So it looks like this software is a real bargain the only very slight reservation being Mart's useful observation that some do stop working after a couple of months.
As regards the 'one star' ratings on Amazon and what they said, they were far outweighed by the positive ones.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2017, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the observation Mart as you said previously the slight risk makes it well worth a punt.
Brian.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

03-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this one Brian - nice to get something cheap from MS for a change me being a Yorkshireman and all . My previous version of Office cost me an arm and a leg so in my eyes I deserve this one at a cut price.

Will just have to see now whether the program updates properly when a new security patch is released.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-09-2017, 01:33 AM

Installation complete .....

No major problems .....

Some slight variations to the installation instructions due to my already having signed into my MS account .....

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top