Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 09:38 AM

Re: Mixed race marriages.

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I'm not so sure about that. In my entire life's experience with women, I've never, ever known a woman to give up one single thing to suit her man. Not in my personal life nor the lives of any man I've ever known. It's the man who MUST change. Never HER. It's the age-old battle of the sexes.
Well here's one who gave up all in order to try and save her marriage, and what a waste of time that was! I was persuaded to move 500 miles from beautiful Scotland, when he decided to change jobs. My children too were uprooted. I gave up my lovely home, job and most of all friends, to settle in an industrial town where I knew no-one. After two years he left for someone else, leaving me in a town of strangers with no job and no income and a house to sell for a lot less than we paid for it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Bakerman heres just one example I come from a family where we argue loudly but after it's over that's it no one is offended. I married a man from a family where they believe every word you say you mean. I have changed to not argue that way because it really upsets my husband, his way seems to me a bit like sulking, so we both changed and we don't argue, if something comes up we sit at the dining table until we have talked it all through and worked out a way forward.

We both changed for the better I think.

There are a myriad of other changes we've both made, he puts down toilet seat, I don't leave the toothpaste in a mess it's just give and take. Compromise that brings about a change for IMO the better.

I'm not arrogant enough to think I was perfect when we married neither was he, so any change for the better has made us better people.

I'm hoping if we get to 50th anniversary we will both be perfect if not as near as damn it to being
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Well here's one who gave up all in order to try and save her marriage, and what a waste of time that was! I was persuaded to move 500 miles from beautiful Scotland, when he decided to change jobs. My children too were uprooted. I gave up my lovely home, job and most of all friends, to settle in an industrial town where I knew no-one. After two years he left for someone else, leaving me in a town of strangers with no job and no income and a house to sell for a lot less than we paid for it.
I sorry that you had to go through all of that, CeeCee. It must have been Hell. You must have been a tough ol' gal to pull out of that mess. I salute you for your tenacity and fortitude.

You have changed my mind. Some women, do indeed, give up everything for her man. Probably my own personal experiences have colored my view of women. Maybe it was emotionally easier to believe that all women were like that, rather than to accept the fact that I was not worth it to my lovers to compromise, and save the relationship.
No insult intended when I say, I would not touch a feminist with a 10 foot pole.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
No insult intended when I say, I would not touch a feminist with a 10 foot pole.
You are perhaps a little confused as to what exactly a feminist is?
A feminist can be male or female, simply a person who believes in treating the two genders equally.

Try this...

Feminism

The belief that women are and should be treated as potential intellectual equals and social equals to men.
These people can be either male or female human beings, although the ideology is commonly (and perhaps falsely) associated mainly with women.

The basic idea of Feminism revolves around the principle that just because human bodies are designed to perform certain procreative functions, biological elements need not dictate intellectual and social functions, capabilities, and rights.

Feminism also, by its nature, embraces the belief that all people are entitled to freedom and liberty within reason -- including equal civil rights -- and that discrimination should not be made based on gender, sexual orientation, skin colour, ethnicity, religion, culture, or lifestyle.

Feminists -- and all persons interested in civil equality and intellectuality - are dedicated to fighting the ignorance that says people are controlled by and limited to their biology.

Feminism is the belief that all people are entitled to the same civil rights and liberties and can be intellectual equals regardless of gender.
However, you should still hold the door for a feminist or anyone else for that matter! - this is known as respect or politeness and need have nothing whatever to do with gender discrimination.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Good post Ruthio, I couldn't marry anyone who wasn't a feminist, I like equality in my marriage and that doesn't mean we are identical but we allow each other to attain anything we want. I've stood by my man when he left his job with no job lined up, he's allowed me to take in family members when they needed help.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Oh, I don't think I'm confused about what feminism is or how it's defined.

The ones I have known, and I ones I've had run-ins with, have been the coldest, meanest, more hurtful people. I have been chewed out, viciously, by a feminist, and my crime ? I held a door open for her !

I had 2 female friends, of 20 years, both feminists, who I cooked for hundreds of times. When they had dinner parties, they always called me to do the cooking. I never asked for or expected any form of payment. I did it out of friendship.
When I fell off a roof, and broke my back and both arms, neither of them came to my house to help me through recovery. When I was in a full torso cast and unable to even care for myself, did either of them bother to cook a meal for me ? Or wash a dish. Did either of them offer to go grocery shopping for me ? Not once ! Ever !

When I was in a live-in relationship for 5 years and after I had cooked every single dinner during that time and when I asked her to cook just 2 meals/week, (1 breakfast on the week-end and 1 dinner during the week) what did she tell me ? "I'm a feminist and I don't have to cook for any man". Now, wasn't that sweet ?

I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

No, ma'am, don't tell me about feminists.
I've learned my lessons well.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:09 PM

Well you've certainly brushed shoulders with some mean spiteful women in your time!

Thank goodness most aren't a bit like that!
bakerman
Mexico

25-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Well you've certainly brushed shoulders with some mean spiteful women in your time!

Thank goodness most aren't a bit like that!
I'll have to take your word for that.
But, no feminist will ever again, get anywhere near my heart.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
You are perhaps a little confused as to what exactly a feminist is?
A feminist can be male or female, simply a person who believes in treating the two genders equally.

Try this...

Feminism

The belief that women are and should be treated as potential intellectual equals and social equals to men.
These people can be either male or female human beings, although the ideology is commonly (and perhaps falsely) associated mainly with women.

The basic idea of Feminism revolves around the principle that just because human bodies are designed to perform certain procreative functions, biological elements need not dictate intellectual and social functions, capabilities, and rights.

Feminism also, by its nature, embraces the belief that all people are entitled to freedom and liberty within reason -- including equal civil rights -- and that discrimination should not be made based on gender, sexual orientation, skin colour, ethnicity, religion, culture, or lifestyle.

Feminists -- and all persons interested in civil equality and intellectuality - are dedicated to fighting the ignorance that says people are controlled by and limited to their biology.

Feminism is the belief that all people are entitled to the same civil rights and liberties and can be intellectual equals regardless of gender.
However, you should still hold the door for a feminist or anyone else for that matter! - this is known as respect or politeness and need have nothing whatever to do with gender discrimination.
Why does everything have to have name......I would have thought that anyone who subscribes to the above reasoning is just normal Ruthio.......
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:19 PM

Hi

I can understand the opening doors thing.

One of the men at work opened the office door for our resident feminist when she was carrying her shopping and was promptly the subject of a complaint to HR because his behaviour in doing so was demeaning.

She also objected to being referred to either as a lady or ar a woman.

She insisted on being called a member of womankind.

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top