Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 08:05 AM

Re: house prices

Lots of people invested in buy to let properties in the UK renting them out to pay the mortgage .
But this has declined after George Osbourne added another 3% stamp duty on top of the normal stamp duty for second properties .
There is also Capital Gains Tax to pay on any profit over 11k ( allowing for repairs and upkeep) made when the property is sold .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Best place to check is "Zoopla" web site. According to that under a Tory government the value of my place has gone up by 30 per cent in the 5 years we have been here. Can't complain at that and in the last couple of month the value has jumped by £16,000 . Yes values go up and down and that is based on the lowest when I last checked.

They give a wide estimation and a more realistic one , the max is way above what I would have had an idea about

Houses are still the best investment either for making money or long term occupancy .

I wonder how much it would have dropped by that terrible Labour Party who don't think one should even own their own home.
Thank goodness they failed and collapsed in this recent general election
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 09:32 PM

I think a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay it can be overpriced by estate agents.

My last house sold for £22grand less than was first put on the market so was well overpriced by the agent and took 18 months to sell .

My neighbours end of terrace was valued at £190 2 months ago she has just sold for £180 . There was no interest at the higher price .

I think agents put up house prices and areas have a ceiling price dont they
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I think a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay it can be overpriced by estate agents.

My last house sold for £22grand less than was first put on the market so was well overpriced by the agent and took 18 months to sell .

My neighbours end of terrace was valued at £190 2 months ago she has just sold for £180 . There was no interest at the higher price .

I think agents put up house prices and areas have a ceiling price dont they

I agree Susan.

Of course agents will start as high as possible, because they can always come down, but they can't do it the other way round can they.

Also, the more money they can wheedle out of us, the more commission they claw in, too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 09:48 PM

from those replies it to me shows how house prices vary across the country
I can only go by Zoopla estimates but the highest they give for mine now is just under £600,00 way above what I would have said and that is just their gesstimate anyway. They did have it at the lowest a couple of months ago at £497,000

shows me how unsteady the housing market is at the moment
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 10:26 PM

I forgot to add the noughts to my post

Should say neighbours house was up for £190 grand and sold for £180 grand .

I'm sure you all knew what I meant anyway

Real speed. You must have a lovely home . Sounds gorgeous
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-12-2019, 10:34 PM

I forgot to add the noughts to my post

Should say neighbours house was up for £190 grand and sold for £180 grand .

I'm sure you all knew what I meant anyway

Real speed. You must have a lovely home . Sounds gorgeous
this is the front at the end of a cal de sac nice area and great neighbours. My garages as well

the back, garage end behind greenhouse

it needed a lot of work inside as it had not been upgrades since about the1980's apart from the kitchen done in around 2005, and that needed a bit of work as well
susan m
DORSET UK

14-12-2019, 11:05 PM

Lovely .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Lovely .
A brick is still a brick where ever it is, A home is still a home no matter size -shape or what it is built with and this is our 5th home and last hopefully.

It is what you are happy with and how well you get on with those around you.

This is our choice after many years of hard graft and risk taking by quitting a "safe" job with BT and going self employed. Nearly went under financially when we bought the boarding kennels and cattery, it was in a terrible state but all we could afford. Took 7/8 years to get established in our own name and upgraded as the previous owners let it run down .

As I see it you can stay in a job with regular pay and holidays etc and that is fine nothing wrong in that. But that is all you end up with when retiring

If you are willing to take a risk then go it alone after doing research and make a bit of money for yourself and not some boss or other.
We moved From Horley Surrey to the West Midlands, didn't know the area or who we were employing or even if we could make a go if it. One huge, and thinking back, stupid risk but I wanted out from BT so badly
That drove us to succeed, too late to turn back we made our bed and had to lie in it so to speak.

WE absolutely could not allow the venture to fail , it had to succeed, and it did . No means easy and gave up a lot but made it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:54 AM

We've been through this before . Is this going to be a regular thing?

It doesn't matter what your house is worth because it will cost you about the same to buy another. The only people who benefit from your house's value is your children.

I have no idea what my house is worth, I don't care what my house is worth. It's value is meaningless.

The only time house values matter is if you have a second or third house. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top