Join for free
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Garden Parasol

Hi everyone I am looking to buy a cantilever garden parasol but have never bought the cantilever version before. I am wondering if anyone here uses one and have any advice on what features I should be looking for or know of any good makes.
Thanks, Brian.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:29 PM

Re: Garden Parasol

Size of top maybe
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:12 PM

We got one on a sale last year, it's great for ease of getting it up and tips to give us great sun protection but we wouldn't buy another because no matter how we anchor it get the slightest air behind it and it takes off like a sail of a ship. It's taken over garden table, ripped through a fence and scared living day lights out of the dogs as it rose and travelled across the garden.

Just tip it a degree or two and it's a nightmare.

End of last season we found tying it to the caravan tow hitch was best way to keep it down but that causes problems of a rope across the garden at neck height !

If it wears out we are getting a normal one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:16 PM

we bought one several years ago from John Lewis with a lime green covering. Looks great but putting it up is a nightmare. Despite having a pulley system, I ended up drilling an extra hole for the pin to go into. Very heavy, which is good in one way but means you have to be strong to lift it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:17 PM

That's a good point long dogs I can't lift ours myself I have to get my husband to put it up.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Thank you folks for the replies they have got me investigating.
Julie: your experience definitely made me think about anchorage.
Realspeed: From your pointer about canopy size I have discovered that too big a canopy can look out of proportion to the garden and should overhang the area that needs to be shaded by about two feet.
Longdogs: Your pointer about a heavy base has led me to discovering that some come on wheels and seems the way to go now that I am getting older. So very helpful everyone and thanks once again.
Brian.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 8451 ->
Thank you folks for the replies they have got me investigating.
Julie: your experience definitely made me think about anchorage.
Realspeed: From your pointer about canopy size I have discovered that too big a canopy can look out of proportion to the garden and should overhang the area that needs to be shaded by about two feet.
Longdogs: Your pointer about a heavy base has led me to discovering that some come on wheels and seems the way to go now that I am getting older. So very helpful everyone and thanks once again.
Brian.
Wheels sound like a good idea Brian. My one fits in the centre hole in the table so when it's all connected together is very heavy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 8451 ->
Hi everyone I am looking to buy a cantilever garden parasol but have never bought the cantilever version before. I am wondering if anyone here uses one and have any advice on what features I should be looking for or know of any good makes.
Thanks, Brian.
You can't be too careful these days with all this skin cancer about. Unfortunately I can't help you with this I just get my wife to stand just behind me and hold an umbrella over me when I am sitting in the garden on these lovely sunny days. I find that works very well and she is already standing when I need to send her for a fresh beer so it saves time too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

15-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You can't be too careful these days with all this skin cancer about. Unfortunately I can't help you with this I just get my wife to stand just behind me and hold an umbrella over me when I am sitting in the garden on these lovely sunny days. I find that works very well and she is already standing when I need to send her for a fresh beer so it saves time too.

Good advice Bruce.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top