Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 08:37 PM

Re: Freezer. Do I really need one.

I have to agree about the ice cream,lol.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 09:26 PM

The old fashioned larder with marble shelves ?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 11:34 PM

I have three small freezers! I find they are like a savings account, you put something in but rarely take it all out!

l have mostly, soft fruit....raspberries, Loganberries, redcurrants, gooseberries and runner beans out of my garden. Various joints of meat, a turkey, fish plus more

Which reminds me, l must stop buying food and use what’s in my freezer!

I couldn’t be without a freezer, especially when you’re snowed in!!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 11:48 PM

Personally I wouldn't want to be without a freezer but I do believe you can do without one. In days gone by people didn't have freezers and they managed ok. Freezers are fab for batch making. If i.m honest I do end up throwing some freezer food away from mine because some of it goes out of date.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I would not like to have to do without a freezer. A freezer allows me to take advantage of special offers and bulk buying. If I am unable to go shopping I always know there is something in the freezer to use.
The arrival of Aldi, Lidl and Home Bargains, even though they're local, "forced" me to organise my freezer to take advantage of special offers and bulk buying.

Before, it contained ready meals, pizza and chips ..... now, it holds meat and vegetables ..... and Linda McCartney burgers/sausages (£1 a pack at Home Bargains) for my meat-free days .....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 03:51 AM

I too use my freezer a lot, I'd be in a real fix without it.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:18 AM

I have two freezers one in the kitchen and one in the garage have to admit I'm often unsure what I have and where as I'm not the world's most organised person. You have made me think MC could I manage.without them? yes possibly but would I want to?..nope I Iike having stuff in even if I'm never quite sure what is where
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:23 AM

Matey, where else would you keep the buffalo, camel, crocodile, eland, giraffe, kangaroo, kudu, okapi, pheasants, rabbits, wildebeeste & zebra steaks to stopp them decomposing before you're ready to eat them???
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
If anything, you need a freezer for one of life's important necessities

ICECREAM!!!
Get thee behind me satan. 😈 Ice cream, unless they do an ice cream that is wholemeal and has no fat, sugar or salt Im not allowed to eat it. 😀

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Matey, where else would you keep the buffalo, camel, crocodile, eland, giraffe, kangaroo, kudu, okapi, pheasants, rabbits, wildebeeste & zebra steaks to stopp them decomposing before you're ready to eat them???
Uncle Joe, Ive had to cut right back now on the meat eating. I'm allowed to eat chicken breast still but only just, and not the crispy skin, and only if the portion is the size of a persons palm. Well, more like Donald Trump tiny hands palm size . I am allowed to look at photographs of luscious fat dripping beef burgers and sizzling sausages but thats as far as it goes these days. 😁

I think after reading all the posts maybe with being on a limited food budget I would find it better to have a freezer for bulk soup and stew making in the slow cooker, plus how often these day do you see 1 chicken breast in a pack?

The guys that delivered the fridge couldnt take away my old fridge freezer so it was left outside in garden. Maybe I should clean it up properly after the flood and use it and give the fridge back.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Get thee behind me satan. 😈 Ice cream, unless they do an ice cream that is wholemeal and has no fat, sugar or salt Im not allowed to eat it. 😀

Uncle Joe, Ive had to cut right back now on the meat eating. I'm allowed to eat chicken breast still but only just, and not the crispy skin, and only if the portion is the size of a persons palm. Well, more like Donald Trump tiny hands palm size . I am allowed to look at photographs of luscious fat dripping beef burgers and sizzling sausages but thats as far as it goes these days. 😁

I think after reading all the posts maybe with being on a limited food budget I would find it better to have a freezer for bulk soup and stew making in the slow cooker, plus how often these day do you see 1 chicken breast in a pack?

The guys that delivered the fridge couldnt take away my old fridge freezer so it was left outside in garden. Maybe I should clean it up properly after the flood and use it and give the fridge back.

Yes matey, cook your meats in the slow cooker overnight, peel, chop and cook the vegetables the next morning and you have a meal ready for by lunchtime. Anything not consumed, tip into plastic containers and store in your freezer for another day.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top