Join for free
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2011, 11:55 PM

Chimney fire!

Lit the fire this evening and it roared like a train then smelt like a campfire then went whoooosh!! We moved the ferrets and took the housedogs out to a kennel and had an execuive meeting in the yard! The normal size fire engines cant get up here and the town mini engine burnt out last week at a local farm fire We decided it was a nest and let it burn out having put the lounge fire out. Its all over now but im most annoyed my hair stinks and I only washed it earlier!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Re: Chimney fire!

Gosh Cassie, that must have been a wee bit frightening. I'm glad everyone was ok and you have hopefully got rid of the smoke smell.

That's one thing I always dreaded years ago when we had coal fires .......seeing chimney stacks with flames shooting out the top was quite common then.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Have you had the sweep round lately Cassie? The chimney might be worth a good rodding before you use it again to make sure it is all clear....
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Have you had the sweep round lately Cassie? The chimney might be worth a good rodding before you use it again to make sure it is all clear....
Thanks Plantman but it's more involved than that and the chimney is going to be lined next week. It was only swept a week or so ago and its dislodged some of the structure so we were very lucky we put it out quickly and it didn't take hold.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Crickey, what a fright. Glad you're all OK there. Can't beat a real proper fire though can you? My daughter had the firemen out to a chimney fire a few years ago and she chattted one up and they went on a date.
marilyno07
Gloucestershire
marilyno07 is female  marilyno07 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Glad your ok - I'd love to have an open fire - but we have one of those old back boiler things.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top