Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 09:13 PM

New computer probs.......

My fancy new Windows 10 computer has stopped talking to my printer. Why? And how do I fix it?

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Re: New computer probs.......

How is it connected to your PC, by USB cable or by Wi-Fi? If it's by cable, try plugging it into a different USB port just in case there's been a glitch in the USB controller.

Failing that, you may have to download a new driver for your printer.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
My fancy new Windows 10 computer has stopped talking to my printer. Why? And how do I fix it?

Printer problems are the worst .....

Having printer problems in Windows 10? We show you how to fix them:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/comp...11363996318374

Fix printer problems in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...inter-problems
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 11:49 PM

i reloaded my printer to work wirelsss. Now Sue has access to it as well from her macbook laptop. So much easier as the printer is now in another part of the room leaving desk space
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's connected by USB and I've tried using different ports. I'll have another go and follow your suggestions.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 08:18 AM

Sorry to ask a silly question.

You say new computer, has the software actually been loaded onto it?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Nothing "fancy" about Windows 10 !

My advice is to remove the printer from the system and reinstall it.

Make sure you have the device driver that came with it incase Windows can't automatically detect it.

BTW if it was previously working and now isn't the best course of action is to think "what has changed recently?"

Did you go away?
Did you use some other USB device recently ?
Maybe a new mouse, keyboard etc?
Did you have a visitor use your system?
Have you recently installed any new software?
Have you just had a Windows update?

If you can remember what it is that has changed recently then you'll have your culprit.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Nothing "fancy" about Windows 10 !

My advice is to remove the printer from the system and reinstall it.

Make sure you have the device driver that came with it incase Windows can't automatically detect it.

BTW if it was previously working and now isn't the best course of action is to think "what has changed recently?"

Did you go away?
Did you use some other USB device recently ?
Maybe a new mouse, keyboard etc?
Did you have a visitor use your system?
Have you recently installed any new software?
Have you just had a Windows update?

If you can remember what it is that has changed recently then you'll have your culprit.
The usual suspect! I avoid them like the plague.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

30-05-2018, 05:15 PM

Yes - I used a port for a mouse and had no trouble at all with that. It may have been after that that the printer failed. Anyway, I tried another port this morning and it kind of worked........but it downloaded the driver........so that's kindof solved the issue.

However...........I've just completed my tax return online. I've had to get details of interest paid on bank accounts and various things from websites that I've wanted to print for my files and when I right-click to get it to print, it only allows me to save as a pdf............so I've had to save at least five documents today - 2 x bank interest; SA tax return; SA calculation and a submission receipt..............and then print them out!

Why can't I just print from a website?..........unless this is some new GDPR exercise - which I've also had to do - privacy policy amended and printed no problems at all from the computer, but just tried to print from sent emails and once again I have to save as a pdf!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 08:45 AM

The printer is linked to a specific USB port and the drivers are associated with that port. Therefore don't mess about plugging other stuff into that same USB port.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top