Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Advice about chemotherapy please

Dave who is 38 has a brain tumour , they said non malignant , he had his op in November , he wasn't well and sharing a house with a mate up north so sister brought him back to dorset as he was unable to look after himself . He has not been improving and back in hospital near us , they have decided he will have chemo starting Monday , they want to send him home which is living with sister and boyfriend and both work full time , his mum will go round each day while they are at work . They say dave has a lot of swelling and that chemo should stop this .

Can you tell us what to expect when chemo starts please .

Thankyou
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Re: Advice about chemotherapy please

I’ve been having chemo for around six months now but the drugs are all different depending on where the tumour is. I have mine once a fortnight, I’m in a day unit for a few hours and then come home with a pump attached to me, giving me more chemo for a further 46 hours. I don’t have bad side effects but feel ‘off it’ for the first week after and then pretty normal for the second week.

I do hope the chemo helps Dave. I started a thread ‘Chemotherapy’ a few weeks ago which you may find of interest Susan.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Thankyou Val I will look at your thread . We were only told yesterday we thought Dave would have radio therapy . We just don't know what to expect and advice will help his family . Many thanks
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Dave may have more than one chemotherapy drug Susan, the possible side effects should be explained to him and I was given written notes on what to expect. I think tiredness is one of the worst side effects.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 08:30 PM

As Val says all chemo is different,he may have a mix,no one can tell in advance how he will feel, it is different for each patient

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top