Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 03:02 AM

Doctors will be able to get away with murder

If Jeremy hunt has his way!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44413443

We need more accountability not less!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:05 AM

Re: Doctors will be able to get away with murder

Not sure about this to be honest on the one hand doctors should be accountable but on the other I suspect much of medicine and diagnosis is a case of trial and error.

I'm not commenting on the case of the little boy who died in this case as I'm sure other factors were probably taken into consideration and we may not be privy to that information I think though that doctors should have a free hand to make a diagnosis without feeling that if it's wrong they might be stuck off or charged with murder.

So I suppose I'm in favour of the proposal which still recognises that underperforming doctors will face consequences but that the fear of legal action is taken out every day diagnosis.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
If Jeremy hunt has his way!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44413443

We need more accountability not less!!
I think we must have read this article in completely different ways, as to me the report and conclusions seem eminently sensible, but then again I don't have a hatred of all things conservative so my judgement may be impaired....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Not sure about this to be honest on the one hand doctors should be accountable but on the other I suspect much of medicine and diagnosis is a case of trial and error.

I'm not commenting on the case of the little boy who died in this case as I'm sure other factors were probably taken into consideration and we may not be privy to that information I think though that doctors should have a free hand to make a diagnosis without feeling that if it's wrong they might be stuck off or charged with murder.

So I suppose I'm in favour of the proposal which still recognises that underperforming doctors will face consequences but that the fear of legal action is taken out every day diagnosis.
I think I am with you on this Summer! The child, that died, had sepsis, which is a disease that can quickly kill so needs rapid diagnosis and the correct treatment.
As you say we don't know all the details of this case, so we can't know what the doctor did wrong, and there could have been other factors that contributed to his death, like not recognizing the symptoms soon enough, by family or doctors.( A close friend of mine had it earlier this year, and the hospital moved at break neck speed to treat her!)

Sepsis can be caused by something as simple as a urinary tract infection..... but how many of us would go to A&E if we got that at the beginning of the weekend, when doctors surgeries are not open?
The NHS is underfunded so, until we can solve that problem, doctors will be under pressure and liable to make mistakes!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 07:04 AM

Hi

A personal view.

Heart Surgeons are rated by their success or failure rates.

I had a massive Heart Attack just before my 50th Birthday.

The Surgeon was quite blunt, you will die without Surgery but you only have a 1 in 3 chance of surviving it.

I signed and am still here.

Afterwards he told me the 1 in 3 chance was that the two others he had operated on with my damage had died on the table.

I am eternally grateful to Doctors who are brave enough to take chances.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 07:28 AM

....and in such cases, we also have to understand that the trainees will be performing operations , everyone will do their first operation, and usually on the older generation. Practice makes perfect despite a few errors.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I think I am with you on this Summer! The child, that died, had sepsis, which is a disease that can quickly kill so needs rapid diagnosis and the correct treatment.
As you say we don't know all the details of this case, so we can't know what the doctor did wrong, and there could have been other factors that contributed to his death, like not recognizing the symptoms soon enough, by family or doctors.( A close friend of mine had it earlier this year, and the hospital moved at break neck speed to treat her!)

Sepsis can be caused by something as simple as a urinary tract infection..... but how many of us would go to A&E if we got that at the beginning of the weekend, when doctors surgeries are not open?
The NHS is underfunded so, until we can solve that problem, doctors will be under pressure and liable to make mistakes!
I don't understand why doctors don't work at weekends or do evening surgery any more .
Other people work weekends .
Doctors always give evening surgery as people could not afford to lose a days work .
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:43 AM

From the link provided,
Following a government review ordered by Mr Hunt, new measures are being introduced.
These include:
the investigation of every hospital death by a medical examiner or coroner
data on doctors' performance will allow them to see how they compare to others to help them improve
the regulator - the General Medical Council - will no longer be able to appeal against the findings of doctors' disciplinary hearings
Unless I am missing something I don’t see anything wrong here.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Everyone makes mistakes, even doctors. I suppose it depends on whether a death is due to a mistake or negligence. One thing we do need to do is to make sure the training these doctors are trained to the correct standard.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Everyone makes mistakes, even doctors. I suppose it depends on whether a death is due to a mistake or negligence. One thing we do need to do is to make sure the training these doctors are trained to the correct standard.
Yet this article from 2015 https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/62...qualifications
could put people at risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top