Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:31 PM

BT/AOL and 'OATH'

I'm with BT. After signing in to my email a/c(s) and giving my password I get:

(The is just a short section I copied, which hopefully explains a bit).

...' Yahoo partners with BT to provide you with BT | Yahoo Mail. Yahoo is part of Oath, a house of digital brands. Oath, our vendors and our partners need your consent to store certain cookies on your device. We also need your consent to use your search, location and browsing data across BT | Yahoo Mail and Oath sites obtained via these cookies to understand your interests and provide you with personalised ads. Oath will also provide personalised ads to you on our partners' products.

How data brings you better ad experiences
We and our partners would like to make the ads we show you relevant to you based on your activity on our sites and products. For example, when you search for a film, we use your location to show the most relevant cinemas near you. We also use this information to show you promotions for similar films you may like in the future. But we only do this if you have said it’s ok.
Learn more about how Oath uses this data. You can always change your mind later and control your Oath preferences in the Privacy Centre.
Learn more about how our partners use this data. Select 'Manage options' to set your data sharing choices with our partners.

Select 'OK' to continue to your destination. If you do not consent to these cookies and the use of the information collected by them, as described above, you will not be able to access BT | Yahoo Mail and Oath products'.

And from BT community:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT...s/td-p/1848440

It's all beyond me. And, I'm cross.

I'm conscious I have to try and read stuff whilst I'm in my email a/c (having just given my password but as yet unable to read my emails until I 'OK').

I've tried to understand what they're on about, but there is just so much to click on and read. I daren't go into my emails now.

I don't like it and feel I want to delete my email a/c(s) but there is stuff I need in there, plus my contacts, which means I have to go into it.

Am I wrong to be worried? Should I just press 'OK' and carry on?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Re: BT/AOL and 'OATH'

Just click ok

Its the new laws on data, they have to inform you what information they collect and what they do with it

In other words, they aren't doing anything they haven't been doing for years, only now they have to tell you
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:37 PM

I've had that on a few sites lately, really irritating.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Just click ok

Its the new laws on data, they have to inform you what information they collect and what they do with it

In other words, they aren't doing anything they haven't been doing for years, only now they have to tell you
Missy and Tess

Yes, I vaguely know about this new data law... If it's just any old site, I usually click OK or ignore it.

In this instance, I feel it's wrong they should take over email a/c after I've given my password. I can't go any further until I 'ok'.

It's like opening a book to the page you're on, and a hand comes down and says 'you cannot read any further until you .......'

Surely, they should inform people before they access their emails?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Missy and Tess

Yes, I vaguely know about this new data law... If it's just any old site, I usually click OK or ignore it.

In this instance, I feel it's wrong they should take over email a/c after I've given my password. I can't go any further until I 'ok'.

It's like opening a book to the page you're on, and a hand comes down and says 'you cannot read any further until you .......'

Surely, they should inform people before they access their emails?

Im guessing you are using web based email?

They aren't reading your emails

~What they are doing is logging if you click on links. Say you buy something online and you get advertising mail saying there is a sale - you click on the sale link - thats what they log - where you went

What I personally would do is to use a dedicated email client to collect your mail rather then using a web page

Mozilla Thunderbird is free and easy to set up and easy to use
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I'm with BT. After signing in to my email a/c(s) and giving my password I get:

(The is just a short section I copied, which hopefully explains a bit).

...' Yahoo partners with BT to provide you with BT | Yahoo Mail. Yahoo is part of Oath, a house of digital brands. Oath, our vendors and our partners need your consent to store certain cookies on your device. We also need your consent to use your search, location and browsing data across BT | Yahoo Mail and Oath sites obtained via these cookies to understand your interests and provide you with personalised ads. Oath will also provide personalised ads to you on our partners' products.

The point of the new law seems, to me, to be that they have to tell you what info they're gathering and who/what they are passing over to others.

How data brings you better ad experiences
We and our partners would like to make the ads we show you relevant to you based on your activity on our sites and products. For example, when you search for a film, we use your location to show the most relevant cinemas near you. We also use this information to show you promotions for similar films you may like in the future. But we only do this if you have said it’s ok.
Learn more about how Oath uses this data. You can always change your mind later and control your Oath preferences in the Privacy Centre.
Learn more about how our partners use this data. Select 'Manage options' to set your data sharing choices with our partners.

Select 'OK' to continue to your destination. If you do not consent to these cookies and the use of the information collected by them, as described above, you will not be able to access BT | Yahoo Mail and Oath products'.

And from BT community:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT...s/td-p/1848440

It's all beyond me. And, I'm cross.

I'm conscious I have to try and read stuff whilst I'm in my email a/c (having just given my password but as yet unable to read my emails until I 'OK').

I've tried to understand what they're on about, but there is just so much to click on and read. I daren't go into my emails now.

I don't like it and feel I want to delete my email a/c(s) but there is stuff I need in there, plus my contacts, which means I have to go into it.

Am I wrong to be worried? Should I just press 'OK' and carry on?
They've boxed you in and you can now be assured that they will only send you they adverts THEY like. You will not be told about the ones that are half the price and just around the corner but which has not paid in to this system.

In your shoes, i'd say Ok and then go directly to the options pages and untick as much as possible.

i'd also get copies of all my emails out to store on my PC.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2018, 11:03 AM

What makes me laugh is they all tell us how concerned they are about our security and that cookies make it a much more pleasant experience for us.
Well stop snooping and we will be happy.

I must admit, I am avoiding agreeing to the News sites such as Huff and AOL. They are rubbish sites anyway so not being able to read them will not spoil my enjoyment one bit.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

14-06-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
(cut)...

What I personally would do is to use a dedicated email client to collect your mail rather then using a web page

Mozilla Thunderbird is free and easy to set up and easy to use
Thanks for that Missy. I'll look into it. I currently access emails on the BT website.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
(cut)

In your shoes, i'd say Ok and then go directly to the options pages and untick as much as possible.

i'd also get copies of all my emails out to store on my PC.
Thanks for that Ted. I can't beat it, so I guess I'll have to join it. At least, if and when I go back to my emails.
I shall do as you say, re storing emails on the laptop. Goodness knows why I haven't done it before now.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
(cut) What makes me laugh is they all tell us how concerned they are about our security and that cookies make it a much more pleasant experience for us.
Well stop snooping and we will be happy.

I must admit, I am avoiding agreeing to the News sites such as Huff and AOL. They are rubbish sites anyway so not being able to read them will not spoil my enjoyment one bit.
Yea, ain't that the truth

Actually, the whole page is taken over by OATH, not the usual bottom of the page bit, which is what annoys me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top