Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Re: Hackers

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Just checked.....

You've got me worried now Meg.
Here is the article itself for people to read, and they can make their own minds up.

6 Scam-busters: Don't think you're too smart to be had

Even if you think you're savvy, scammers are getting professional & often target when you're most vulnerable

It's Scams Awareness Month and we're supporting Citizens Advice to raise awareness of how increasingly sophisticated scumbags try to target YOUR cash. And it's timely - it was revealed last week that 1,300 TSB customers had money stolen by fraudsters after its IT meltdown. Meanwhile, our Martin is involved in a spat with Facebook over its publication of scam ads. Our Scam-Spotting guide highlights the warning signs, here are six key tips...

Never give personal details if they call, text or email. The classic scam is fraudsters sending messages or emails asking for your details to break into your accounts, claiming to be from a bank, insurer, HMRC, even the police. An increasingly common trick is where they call, ask you to call your bank back, but play a dialling tone, tricking you into thinking they've hung up. Yet you're still talking to them. These have all sorts of names such as 'phishing', 'smishing' and 'vishing'. See phishing etc help.

Beware fake Martin Lewis ads. MSE founder Martin Lewis's face has been plastered all over the internet, in ads wrongly claiming he's endorsing binary trading, PPI companies and more. NOT ONE of these scam ads is genuine - don't be fooled. There's more in our Fake Martin Ads guide - plus, read why Martin's suing Facebook over scam ads.

Check if hackers have stolen your data. Find out if passwords, email addresses, your home address, phone numbers or DOB have been compromised without you knowing. See hack check, incl what to do if hit.

Don't fall for fake deals on WhatsApp & Facebook. We hear of many bogus offers popping up in people's feeds and messages, eg, Alton Towers and Ryanair giving away free tickets on WhatsApp. They're a con: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Here's how to spot Facebook/WhatsApp fakery.

When is www.bbc.co.uk not www.bbc.co.uk? Not all links are genuine - fraudsters exploit this a lot. But there are ways to check where a link takes you BEFORE you click. Always look where you click. (We bet you checked this BBC one.)

Ensure you've FREE antivirus software. It's simple and effective. See our Free Antivirus Software guide.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You've got me worried now Meg.
Here is the article itself for people to read, and they can make their own minds up.
Aw sorry Mups , I am sure it is ok if Martin Lewis says so ....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
In the Martin Lewis newsletter today, he is talking a lot about internet security.
He gave a website to use to check whether your email address has been hacked and data stolen.

This is the website he was on about, and it's a FREE check if anyone's interested.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

(The spelling of 'pawned' is supposed to be like that )
yes, I put the warning up in February this year in this Topic.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=50477

It finally got to Martin Lewis!

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I worry about putting my email into those kind of things incase they themselves are 'email harvesting' paranoia rules here .
Yep this !

What is to be gained by freely giving an application/website your email address? Those people whom the site said had been compromised what are they doing? Deleting their email addresses or shurugging their shoulders and carrying on?

Meanwhile they gave their email address to that website.

Just foolish imo

Email addresses are valuable. Companies repeatedly sell such details esp if they know the email addresses are current and active.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 08:11 PM

Well it says I had one breach but now what?... Should I be worried I wonder?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Well it says I had one breach but now what?... Should I be worried I wonder?
It means that your email address and, possibly, a password which you were using when the leak occurred, has been found out there.

That is what this web site finds out for you.

These things get "out there" when some web site accidentally lets your details fall into the wrong hands or, some hacker has obtained a user name and password, of yours, and maybe sold it on.

The baddies could now try out combinations your name/password to see if they can put it together again elsewhere.

Probably the only safe thing to do is not use that password any more and, maybe, the email address as well.

Earlier this year I had a scammed EBay hit where a dozen or so items were bought in my name and set up to be shipped to Russian addresses.

I think it came about out of this situation.

Luckily Ebay & Paypal sorted it all out but I had to change all of my creds to do it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
yes, I put the warning up in February this year in this Topic.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=50477

It finally got to Martin Lewis!

Hi Ted, I do apologise, I didn't know about your previous thread.
First I knew of it was when my Martin Lewis newsletter arrived today.

I am glad you said about it too, but at least now I know it was a genuine article, so thanks.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2018, 11:23 PM

Have I Been Pwned?

https://haveibeenpwned.com/About

Who, what & why
The background on the who, the what and the why of Have I Been Pwned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_I_Been_Pwned%3F

Have I Been Pwned? (HIBP) is a website that allows internet users to check if their personal data has been compromised by data breaches. The service collects and analyzes dozens of database dumps and pastes containing information about hundreds of millions of leaked accounts, and allows users to search for their own information by entering their username or email address. Users can also sign up to be notified if their email address appears in future dumps. The site has been widely touted as a valuable resource for internet users wishing to protect their own security and privacy. Have I Been Pwned? was created by security expert Troy Hunt on 4 December 2013.

As of November 2017, Have I Been Pwned? receives around sixty thousand daily visitors, the site has over 1.7 million active email subscribers and contains records of over 4.8 billion accounts from over 251 data breaches.
Of course, "Have I Been Pwned?" could still be "harvesting" .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2018, 12:08 AM

None of my email accounts (all gmail) have been pwned - not only do they maintain rigorous checks on your account and alert you via text-message or email I have cast iron passwords on all three accounts.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

16-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
None of my email accounts (all gmail) have been pwned - not only do they maintain rigorous checks on your account and alert you via text-message or email I have cast iron passwords on all three accounts.
There was a time, back in the day. when I'd set up a new Freebie account, and just "Cast Off" the old ones, whenever I reached a point where the incoming was just packed full of spam.

Of course, on thinking about it, these cast off accounts can give me no "Checkup"messages from the provider, as I don't look, and they could be sitting there. or maybe be already in the hands of the baddies. Any anti-spam settings, etc, will now be well out of date.

I'll now have to see if I can dig them out and give them a more dignified farewell!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top