Join for free
Page 7 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Re: A tragic accident. [Loughborough Junction deaths]

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I know a couple who have 2 sons, one is a model son the other was a complete nightmare, he got in the wrong crowd and was easily led. When he got older he turned to his parents, apologised and said "i.m sorry, my behaviour was out of order and it was nothing to do with how you brought me up, I just chose to be a rebellious prick" he's doing well nowmuch to his parents relief. Many petty criminals come from decent families but obviously some end up in prison. But I guess some parents just don't care and it's these parents who can be held responsible.
I agree that is isn't always the parents fault, because some children are influenced by other children, but this boy's parents must have had some influence over how he behaved, because he had the decency to apologise for his behavior.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When I was a child and something happened to another child, who was up to mischief, My parents always used to say " And that is what will happen you if you do the same stupid thing!"
I don't recall them feeling sorry for the injured child, they just said "lets hope she has learned not to make the same mistake again". Their reaction taught me well and I learned not to take risks, so have always been grateful for that teaching!
If we show great sympathy for those, who are hurt whilst doing wrong, aren't we teaching the young of today that it is alright to do wrong....so encouraging them to take risks?
I agree Twink.

When we do something wrong or illegal, we make a choice. If it goes wrong we have to accept the consequences. Anyone in their twenties would know that graffiting trains is anti-social and illegal. I would not wish them dead but it's just a consequence of what they did.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 05:36 PM

I was listening to a debate about this on the Jeremy Vine Radio Show today.
This is obviously a very emotive and sensitive subject.
But I felt it needs debating on this forum, and I look forward to your points of view on the matter.

These lads were well known for doing graffiti all over the place and were locally known as The Three Musketeers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...led-train.html

Scum and Criminals?
I am not sure I would go that far, but at the moment there is only one set of people I feel really truly sorry for.
And that is the poor Train Driver who will have to live for the rest of his with the fact that his train killed three young lads.
And for the people who went to the train-line and witnessed the dead bodies, and had to clear everything up, including possibly body parts.

'They are common scum': Former TfL board member sparks outrage after calling 'graffiti artists' killed by a south London train 'criminals who cost the railway millions'

A former Transport for London board member branded three suspected graffiti artists killed when a train struck them 'common scum', it was revealed today.

Brian Cooke, who was suspended by the Tories this year for calling a rival a 'two-faced s***', tweeted the extraordinary abuse hours after the tragedy at Loughborough Junction yesterday.

The three men – one 19-year-old and two 23-year-olds, all from London – were hit by an out of service passenger train at 1am.

Their bodies were found at 7.30am yesterday at a notorious vandalism hotspot and spraypaint cans were scattered on the track.

In response to a BBC report on the incident Mr Cooke, from Beckenham, south London, said: 'Why do BBC News keep referring to the guys killed at Loughborough Junction as graffiti 'artists' they are no such thing they are common scum and criminals who cost the railway millions and keep fares high'.

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 05:59 PM

Scum is possibly the wrong term, but certainly they were common criminals who apparently revelled in their vandalism. They both knew and understood the risks and no doubt did it for the buzz of the danger, so I do find it hard to feel regret for their demise although I do sympathise with their families, for any parent to lose a child under any circumstance is a terrible thing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 06:23 PM

Well said Barry
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 06:24 PM

I object to them being called "Scum" because they were just 3 stupid young men who paid dearly for the risk they took.

I don't understand how their supporters can ask for justice, when it was the their fault that they were killed. If they hadn't been where they shouldn't be, doing something that they had no right to do, they would be alive today! They had done graffiti work for some companies, so why not use their talents to earn money rather than destroy things they had no right to?

I am sure we can all understand the family & friends distress, but they need to understand that the only people to blame, for their deaths, was the lads themselves.

It seems that journalists have no heart, if they choose to print this rubbish, when the only surviving party is the train driver, who is being blamed by the lads supporters & may lose his confidence, to continue his job, after this incident!

How sad for everybody!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 06:26 PM

Sod 'em. Not exactly Banksy were they? Spraying your name on bridges and other properties is vandalism, not art. They knew the risks, and paid the price.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 06:33 PM

You are right Judd Banksey they are not .
I have recently seen a fresh white concrete retaining wall totally disfigured by senseless ugly graffiti.
Death was too high a price to pay but perhaps it will deter others.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 06:38 PM

I reserve the description scum for "extreme" criminals, like child-molesters and those who assault frail pensioners, but the three individuals killed were vandals trespassing on railway property. They chose to ignore the risks and paid the price. They get no sympathy from me.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 07:02 PM

FWIW, I think it is dreadful. A real tragedy.
The lads shouldn't have been there. Stupidity. Shouldn't have been doing the graffiti. Vandalism.

Another angle. Were the security precautions adequate? Should the rail companies have to face the bill for preventing people from doing stupid things?

Page 7 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top