Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 12:33 PM

Re: Alabama Rot

That's a good idea too mups, I had to have something indoors.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 01:36 PM

I already have a washing up bowl/dog towels /and a hair drier set up on a table in the garage for muddy days, I will just use it after every walk now. Beard goes in first then two legs at a time
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Just had a nasty thought Meg, I wonder if this disease can be carried on our own clothing and shoes? Parvo can, can't it.

I am concerned about washing the dogs and not ourselves, but how far do we need to go with this sort of thing I wonder, and which disinfectants would kill anything on our boots?
Puts me in mind of walking through boot washes when farms have an outbreak of something nasty.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just had a nasty thought Meg, I wonder if this disease can be carried on our own clothing and shoes? Parvo can, can't it.

I am concerned about washing the dogs and not ourselves, but how far do we need to go with this sort of thing I wonder, and which disinfectants would kill anything on our boots?
Mups I don't think AR is a virus like parvo which is spread by animal to animal contact because the incidence of infection are one offs and widespread .
My guess is it is down to a fungal infection or an insect in the undergrowth and if it is a virus one that requires a 'vector'.
We only have to look at new to us diseases like Schmalenberg a virus which is not spread by animal to animal contact but has a vector, mosquitoes and tics.

As the name indicate Alabama Rot first emerged in the southern states of the USA , I can't imagine what the common denominator is between Alabama and the UK, there must be one ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 05:01 PM

I am surprised that after the length of time it has been known here, that they don't seem a lot closer to finding more out.
I think it seems to be a spring/summer thing doesn't it? I can't remember hearing of it over the winter months, so I agree it does make you wonder if it is something that either regrows in spring, or perhaps overwinters, then hatches out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-05-2017, 11:55 AM

There is a veterinary conference taking place this week to discuss the disease.

Veterinary experts, doctors and scientists will gather for a conference at Reading's Madejski Stadium in Berkshire on Wednesday.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...oldest-months/

It seems it may be seasonal, November to May.

Hopefully we will know a little more after the conference...
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 04:20 PM

When it comes to washing we have one of these in the back of the car as well as a micro fibre towel we can hose Murphy down before he gets home or tries to wash himself.

Was only a few quid in the DIY shop and its really good at getting muck off the dog and our welly boots too.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	2974  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-05-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
When it comes to washing we have one of these in the back of the car as well as a micro fibre towel we can hose Murphy down before he gets home or tries to wash himself.

Was only a few quid in the DIY shop and its really good at getting muck off the dog and our welly boots too.
Cass have you had any cases in the the Netherlands , I couldnt find anything on line.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Cass have you had any cases in the the Netherlands , I couldnt find anything on line.
Lucky enough we have never has a case. We wash Murphy off if hes been swimming because of algae and the mud plus we have a lot of an irritating plant we call berenklauw..?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Lucky enough we have never has a case. We wash Murphy off if hes been swimming because of algae and the mud plus we have a lot of an irritating plant we call berenklauw..?
It's odd there don't seem to be any cases over the channel . I hope it stays that way.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top